15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Excellent!...

Excellent!
    Eric
    Rhome, TX
    '16 WRX Premium

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got a 2016 limited, is there an easier way to access the cubby light and take off the radio bezel? Do I need to remove the glove compartment to get to one of the bolts holding the radio in place and then force off the AC vent trim and such?

Quote Originally Posted by wilket View Post
    I got a 2016 limited, is there an easier way to access the cubby light and take off the radio bezel? Do I need to remove the glove compartment to get to one of the bolts holding the radio in place and then force off the AC vent trim and such?
    Did you get this sorted out? I have a 2016 WRX and access to the cubby light seems more complicated with the integrated Starlink setup. I have my two LEDs positioned nicely, but access to the cubby light connector seems not-so straight forward.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine just arrived today, probably be next week sometime before I can tear into it. Will let you know what I find with the 2016.

SQ

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaSwede View Post
    Did you get this sorted out? I have a 2016 WRX and access to the cubby light seems more complicated with the integrated Starlink setup. I have my two LEDs positioned nicely, but access to the cubby light connector seems not-so straight forward.
    Yes, you need to take the glove box off and a panel on the driver side as well to access a bolt on each side.
    After that it's just the 2 at the top and then the whole unit pulls off.

I bought this kit OEM from subaru and sold the STI. never installed still in box. Gonna sell it for $40 shipped if theres any interest PM me
    Last edited by jt1k; 10-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    Yes, you need to take the glove box off and a panel on the driver side as well to access a bolt on each side.
    After that it's just the 2 at the top and then the whole unit pulls off.
    Is this the easiest way, on the '16 with 7" display?

ETA: I love this thread! Every time I pass by it, I want to go buy the kit that is on my wish list on Amazon, but I don't even have the car, yet!
    Last edited by pizza_pablo; 10-26-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add ETA
    On 09 September 2016, I drove off in a Lapis Blue, WRX Limited 6mt, with NAV/HK/BSD/RCTA + STS, Homelink, Aero Splash Guards, Side Molding, Door Edge Guards & Cargo Tray.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza_pablo View Post
    Is this the easiest way, on the '16 with 7" display?

ETA: I love this thread! Every time I pass by it, I want to go buy the kit that is on my wish list on Amazon, but I don't even have the car, yet!
    It's the only way to do it.

It's the only way to do it.
    Got it. Thanks!
    On 09 September 2016, I drove off in a Lapis Blue, WRX Limited 6mt, with NAV/HK/BSD/RCTA + STS, Homelink, Aero Splash Guards, Side Molding, Door Edge Guards & Cargo Tray.

Can anyone post some pics of what needs to come out to access the cubby light for the '16s?

If no one else does, I may be able to later.

If no one else does, I may be able to later.
    That would be awesome. Thanks!

I don't have any photos, but if you take off the top vent, there's 2 bolts there, and one on each side of the unit housing. On the driver side, you have to remove the plastic piece between the stereo unit and steering wheel, passenger side requires removing the glove box. Once you've done that, look for the similar looking bolts to what you took out earlier. You might say to yourself, "Those? But they're pretty far back..." That's what you're looking for. Once all 4 are removed, just gently slide it up and out.

It's a pain to get out, but just wait until you have to put it back together. I left the two side bolts out just in case I have to dig in there again.

I also got the kit from Amazon (based on this thread) and it plugged right in. I have nice little footwell lights now and thanks for helping me save 100
    2106 WRX
    2014 Crosstrek
    2006 Ram (Cummins)

I Support ClubWRX
    For those who have done this mod with the Amazon kit, plugging it into the cubby light, is it therefore on all the time please?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.