EVERYTHING STARLINK - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on EVERYTHING STARLINK within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I couldn't help but read this thread and reply with some information and advice. My name is Jason, I work ...

I couldn't help but read this thread and reply with some information and advice.

My name is Jason, I work as a Subaru Sales Professional (for Randy Marion Subaru in Mooresville NC). I beleive 90% of your STARLINK issues stem from your Salesperson doing a poor job going over the cars features with you. The STARLINK System works absolutely fine, you just have to know how to use it. So, here are a few tips:

*Subaru is trying to help you keep your hands off your phone and on the Steering wheel or briefly on the touch screen for the majory of your needs while driving. That's why the more commonly used media applications are integrated into the STARLINK OS.

1) DOWNLOAD THE FREE *SUBARU STARLINK* APPLICATION FROM THE ANDROID MARKET/APP STORE. The Starlink App is designed to help your smart phone to communicate with your head unit. They talk to one another.

2) iPhone users: If you would like to utilize your touch screen display for app prefaces like Pandora or Aha, you MUST be both be blue tooth and usb connected. Otherwise, you can only use your phone as a bluetooth audio device. In which case you will need to use your phone (only) for navigating your media (the steering wheel controls should still work for skipping content etc)

2) Android users: You have a better OS (lol), all you need to do is properly connect your smart phone via Bluetooth in order to access full functionality of the touch screen display of your STARLINK.

3) Here is the Key: Properly connect your smart phone via bluetooth 1st. Make sure it's successfully connected. Open your STARLINK app on your smart phone. Navigate to the STARLINK app on your head unit. Tap it, if it opens properly and shows you the additional apps within then STARLINK app then you're good. If it tells you to download/reinstall your STARLINK app on your smart phone, just turn off your car and turn it on again, wait for the system to boot up and it should connect to starlink on your device. Sometimes the process can be kind of exact and when done out of order results in an annoyance but, it will work.

4) Once STARLINK on smart phone and head unit are married properly, you really dont have to mess with it again. Whichever media application you used last will start to connect automatically as well as your smart phone every time you turn on your car. If you are using Pandora and turn off the car, once you turn it back on again, it will automatically sync back with pandora unless you go to a difference source like, FM or SiriusXM prior to turning off the car.

5) Make sure your Media Applications such as Pandora, iHeart, Aha etc that you want to use are downloaded, installed, and at least opened and running in the background of your smart phone is you want to use their touch screen integration with STARLINK head unit. For android (for me) even if i close down Pandora on my phone, once I get into my car and turn it on. If I was in the Pandora app when I shut off my car, STARLINK automatically opens pandora on my smart phone and connects to it, initializing my touch screen Pandora capabilities.

6) Sometimes when in an application that STARLINK has not successfully connected to like Pandora (on your head unit) it will 'hang' and you cant tap the 'source' button to move from it. Best thing to do is just hit the 'source' button on your steering wheel, it will move away from the 'stuck' app.

*Honestly, as long as you understand how STARLINK is designed, it works pretty flawless. Most problems are user errors not system. I hope this helps.

ps) if you cannot fix your issues with what i explained above, chances are you legitimately have a software issue with A: YOUR device or B: the Subaru Starlink softwear, in whichcase you're probably still under warranty.. Go make subaru fix it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for your helpful advice Jason, I attempted to do as you suggested but still having issues. Maybe it just isn't meant to work. In all I wouldn't use it anyways just wanted to see how it worked. Although I give this car a 10/10 I would rate the stereo system a 2/10 but the power of the engine matters more for me. I hope other users will find this helpfull and thank you again.

EVERYTHING STARLINK

It may work sort-of well, but it still looks to be something from 6 years ago.

Does anyone think Aha is decent? And the firmware and app haven't been updated since 2014. Poop. (2015 WRX Limited)
    Last edited by Canada; 03-05-2016 at 01:27 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Starlink doesn't work for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Probably the worst infotainment system ever designed. There's a reason the app is rated 1.8 stars...lol

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

When plugged in via USB and playing music through Pandora, if I make or receive a call, it does not reconnect to Pandora. I have to unplug my phone, shut down the Pandora app on the phone, plug the phone back in, restart the App on my phone, and then re-select the Pandora App on the HU. This process is distracting and annoying. Just wondering if it is something that I'm personally doing wrong or if it is something that can be fixed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

When plugged in via USB and playing music through Pandora, if I make or receive a call, it does not reconnect to Pandora. I have to unplug my phone, shut down the Pandora app on the phone, plug the phone back in, restart the App on my phone, and then re-select the Pandora App on the HU. This process is distracting and annoying. Just wondering if it is something that I'm personally doing wrong or if it is something that can be fixed.

I have 2016 premium with nav. I have not had that problem. I have an android phone if that might help.

I have had the issue with starlink not working after receiving a call. I've also had problems with it working at all. I have never made it to a destination without it disconnecting me. I always get an error that comes up about 10 mins into my trip that says something like " this accessory is not supported". And when it disconnects me, it won't connect again. It just never works like it is supposed to. I shouldn't have to go through multiple steps to get it to work. I should be able to connect through Bluetooth and go. Also, the voice recognition system is a joke. The amount of lag and accuracy of the voice recognition is embarrassing. So, to the Subaru sales rep or whoever he was...it is not user error. Its the Starlink software itself. I shouldn't have to turn my car off and back on just to get it to work. Are you kidding me? Yeah, I'll do that right after you go ***** off. Stop blaming other people for something that is Subaru's fault. Just admit that it is a POS and was a horrible idea. Well, it was a good idea, but it was executed poorly. I honestly believe that unless Subaru can fix these issues, owners that have the voice recognition and touchscreen display should be refunded the cost of the technology because neither works as they are supposed to and I guarantee that the money we paid for the vehicle included the cost of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze0303 View Post
    Probably the worst infotainment system ever designed. There's a reason the app is rated 1.8 stars...lol
    Do you really not find that the generic weather app and "Aha" don't make your day 10x better right from the start?? There's no better start to my day than opening the starlink app on my phone, starting my car, connecting the usb, connecting to bluetooth, selecting the starlink app on the touchscreen, then selecting pandora and praying that it actually connects. LOVE it!

Registered User FullOppositeLock's Avatar
    I have stopped wasting my time with Starlink and Aha. There is nothing in Starlink that I feel I need to use and Aha only works every other time I use it. I do use the Bluetooth connectivity with my phone and have found that to be reliable.

I Support ClubWRX
    My biggest complaint is still how I have to re-select shuffle by song (usb drive) each and every time I get in my car and turn it on. Plus it takes forever to show my song list. I ended up splitting my music into two different USB drives (A-M, N-Z) because of this. It's still too slow for my liking though. It usually takes an entire 5 minutes to populate. Then I have to select 'list', then 'song' then select shuffle.

It doesn't remember. Stupid.

I don't bother with the apps...too slow.

The voice response to text is, I agree, lacking any sort of ambition. It reads it fine. I can't respond. Even with my iPhone 6 and the app loaded on my iPhone. It just tells me my device isn't compatible. I gave up.

So, I just read through this whole thread and went out to my 2016 WRX w/o nav and tried what i could. I have a Note 4 that is fully updated and I use Spotify for music. The music i listen to is saved to the phone so i'm not streaming all the time. I started StarLink on my phone en route to my car. Got in, plugged in my USB just so all possible bases were covered. Started the car, let BT connect. Automatically my music started playing through normal BT. I paused it on my phone. (I'm looking to use StarLink because on regular BT it will display info for first song played and never change.) Anyways, I went to the StarLink app on the car. It said it couldn't connect. I went back to the Home button and back into apps and then StarLink. It opened! (My hope got up at this point). I went to "Music" in StarLink and it started playing music after loading for 15 - 20 seconds. Problem is, no info showed up for my music. Couldn't pause or skip songs in StarLink. Just a blank player and music playing in the background. Did I miss something (namely to the salesman who posted)??? If not, here comes a double din full screen aftermarket HU. Ugh, when buying i didn't have much hope for it due to hearing bad stuff but now having to possibly do it discourages me....
    - Jay J.

2016 Subaru WRX Premium in WRB (MT)
    - Grimmspeed Plate Relocate
    - RallyArmor Mud Flaps

Banned
    PLEASE SUBARU PUT THE 8" StarLink with CarPlay from the New York Auto Show into these cars so we wont be forced to deal with your terribly designed pos

We have a '15 outback limited with Nav and have fought with the infotainment system plenty as well. It does need some software reengineering across the board, totally agree.

I will try what Snxpflash recommends above, maybe that's the mystery.

Other issues like how strangely organized the Nav is to find saved places etc, just needs more work for sure.

It certainly cost them some money, very unlikely I'm going to pay for the Nav when I order the WRX!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.