Subaru WRX Forum banner

Raspberry Pi B+ with BT or USB ELM327 for reading OBD II stats

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rafez 
#1 ·
Hello,
Did anyone managed to get readouts from your WRX 2009 with Raspberry and ELM327? Can some one point me to some software which can work with Pi B+ connected with bluetooth or USB ELM327 to read OBD II stats?
I have tried cowfishstudios project but keep coming to some error in code which can't figure out. Looks like problem is with reading sensors, this guy from project used it on older Subaru which most probably is using different protocol for reading stats.
I have Subaru WRX 2009 if some one is using BT or USB ELM327 with their Raspberry please let me know what software you use and if possible give me github link to the project.

#3 ·
Once you get the ECU connected to the Raspberry Pi, are you trying to do something specific? Assuming you are using an ELM327 OBD2-to-RS232 interpreter, you can use any of these software packages to work with the ECU in Linux. Just run a compatible version of Linux on your Pi and you should be good to go.

If there's anything else I can help you out with let me know, but good luck. :)

#4 ·
I did try pyOBD and some others but those are not good to use in car while driving. I need something which displays nice GUI with big numbers. Basically I need program which I can setup to auto run during booting of PI and it will go straight to the screen which displays some data (like boost, temperature, RPM, fuel milage, etc).
This is exactly what I'm looking for but it is just not working on my 2009 WRX :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwiVERLmDo&index=7&list=FLVs82Vhk_K-6jCL1gfMDgig.
It would be great if some one with car like mine can confirm some program working for him in similar setup like mine, which is 7inch LCD, Raspberry Pi, ELM 327

#9 ·
sorry issue is with OBD-Pi from Paul Bartek (link to his video was mentioned previously) with PyOBD there was no issue but as I have already stated PyOBD is not good to use on 10" LCD in the car while driving since all letters/numbers are pretty small. Perfect solution is when you start the car your Pi boots directly to program (which could be set in autostart) and then opens simple gui dividing screen into let say six boxes where you can customize output. The point is that digits have to be quite large, like in OBD-Pi. I wrote to Paul bartek he reply to me with one thing to try but it did not change anything and he is not responding so waiting to come across a program which is similar to his and works with on board computer in WRX 2009 since apparently his software has some issue with reading data.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.