2015 WRX Radio Upgrades
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX Radio Upgrades within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I will be upgrading from an 02' Camry to a 2015 WRX come next Monday, and have been ...

2015 WRX Radio Upgrades

Hey all,

I will be upgrading from an 02' Camry to a 2015 WRX come next Monday, and have been scowering the DIY thread here (2015 WRX & STI Epic Thread of Knowledge - NASIOC) for information on replacing the factory headunit(am looking to put in a single-din Pioneer DEH-80PRS. From what I've been hearing is the stock unit is at the very least, not good. The thread I linked above had most of what I needed such as speaker size, what wiring harnesses to get and how to uninstall the factory unit. However, I still have some questions that hopefully someone can help me find answers to:

1) How will I get Bluetooth integration/steering controls to work with the new radio? Is that something the wiring harness addresses? Or do I need to do something more customized?

2) Will the change in wRMS output of the new radio affect the stock speakers negatively? Are the stock speakers too sensitive for the Pioneer DEH-80PRS?
    b) Also does anyone have specs on the stock headunit, if the headunit is 4v, and the PRS is 5v is that a big deal?

Thank you in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWRXr View Post
    Hey all,

I will be upgrading from an 02' Camry to a 2015 WRX come next MondayGood move!!!!, and have been scowering the DIY thread here (2015 WRX & STI Epic Thread of Knowledge - NASIOC) for information on replacing the factory headunit(am looking to put in a single-din Pioneer DEH-80PRS. From what I've been hearing is the stock unit is at the very least, not good. The thread I linked above had most of what I needed such as speaker size, what wiring harnesses to get and how to uninstall the factory unit. However, I still have some questions that hopefully someone can help me find answers to:

1) How will I get Bluetooth integration/steering controls to work with the new radio? Is that something the wiring harness addresses? Or do I need to do something more customized?
    You'll need to get an Axxess ASWC-1 for the steering controls. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to integrate the stock BT mic with an aftermarket H/U. The stock mic is dynamic, I believe. So unless you're EXTREMELY handy with electronics, you'll have to use the aftermarket mic that comes with your HU. The following link has all the information you need for outfitting an aftermarket HU in your new WRX. Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information
    2) Will the change in wRMS output of the new radio affect the stock speakers negatively? Are the stock speakers too sensitive for the Pioneer DEH-80PRS?
    The stock speakers are pretty terrible, IMO. If you listen to your music at a higher-than-usual volume you're going to blow them sooner than later. I also have a '14 Forester and the speakers blew in the first 15,000 miles. They'll last, but start planning an upgrade.
    b) Also does anyone have specs on the stock headunit, if the headunit is 4v, and the PRS is 5v is that a big deal?
    No, all headhunt's take in the vehicle's 12v. The unit has internal transformer's to do with the power as it pleases. Also, why do you want to go with that model? For $50 more you can get a full double Din unit.

Thank you in advance!
    “Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.” - David Rains Wallace

2015 WRX - Crystal White Pearl
    2014 Forester 2.5i Premium - Dark Grey Metallic

I just replaced the HU in my '15 with a Pioneer AVH-x2600bt ($250 from crutchfield). I did nothing with the speakers and it still made a drastic difference. Not perfect but good enough for me.
    The ASWC-1 is going to keep your steering wheel controls. It's very easy to integrate and sets itself up.
    If you want to keep the console aux and USB inputs you can get harnesses from ae86.com
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” - Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Which ever way you decide to order the HU I would contact ‚AE64 Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information for a wring harness and steering wheel control.

I decided to run the manual program of the control again even though it found all the buttons.The only feature that I dont have working is the Siri/Voice Command button. instead its an almost mute feature which I would rather have.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWRXr View Post
    Those are 5V preouts for an external amplifier. I have the standard stereo system and so the stock head unit is the amplifier (groan) so if yours is too then there is almost no way it has 4V preouts.

2) More power will make the stock speakers sound better since they will be driven more precisely. It will also give you the ability to blow them much more easily as you can also drive them harder (past their limits).
    b) If you're planning to use the Pioneer head unit as your amp and wire it directly to the speakers then the 5V preouts on the Pioneer will go unused, so to answer your question, "not a big deal".

I say just add the head unit and see how you like it. If you blow the speakers, you know you want better ones and speakers are relatively cheap. Then if you have speakers and a head unit with 5V preouts, once you decide you want it louder you can add the amp. If you get a 5 channel amp then you can wait a while and put a sub in whenever you want. Building your system in the right sequence lets you gradually enjoy the benefits of upgrades without having to pay for everything at once.

I'm not an audiophile, but my biggest gripe with the audio system is the display.

Dot Matrix screams 90s. I wonder if the color display audio unit from the XV Crosstrek would be an easy plug-n-play swap while maintaining the steering wheel controls and aux/usb inputs.

[QUOTE=jwaters943;4056225]I'm not an audiophile, but my biggest gripe with the audio system is the display.

Dot Matrix screams 90s. I wonder if the color display audio unit from the XV Crosstrek would be an easy plug-n-play swap while maintaining the steering wheel controls and aux/usb inputs.

interesting to see as well
    SOLD TDCTUNED 290WHP@255TQ RA Gears & 2nd Motor, 2002 wrx
    SOLD 345WHP@340WTQ 2007 Legacy GT Brentuned stage 2.5
    2015 WRX Limited Stock

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.