AccessPort Mounting Location (2014 WRX)

This is a discussion on AccessPort Mounting Location (2014 WRX) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I thought I would share this. It took me a long time to figure out a decent mounting option that ...

AccessPort Mounting Location (2014 WRX)

I thought I would share this. It took me a long time to figure out a decent mounting option that would also keep the OBDII cable secure and out of the way.

I'm sure other people have figured out other ideas, but this is what I liked (and involved no visible modification to the interior). I created an opening in the grip area of the fuse cover just large enough to get the AP end of the cable through, then ran the cable from the ECU port to under the dash and cable tied it to one of the metal supports to secure it from falling by my feet. I'm going to order a 90 OBDII cable in the future to eliminate the hard bend in the AP cable at the ECU port.

There are some other minor install photos in the same album (V-Limited front lip, Kartboy SS [I installed the shifter bushings as well, but it was too difficult to get decent photos], auto-dimming rear view mirror, and arm rest extension). I opted to install the last two on my own because it was really simple and would have cost a lot more from the dealer.

Install Photos
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I like this!!
    I didnt even think to do that with the cod.. but i cant get my accessport to stay mounted(stuck) to any interior piece in my car...
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

Quote Originally Posted by Infamouszoltan View Post
    I like this!!
    I didnt even think to do that with the cod.. but i cant get my accessport to stay mounted(stuck) to any interior piece in my car...
    Thank you! I just used the 3M double sided tape that came with the AP, and I haven't had any issues with the mount coming loose. It wasn't an insanely hot summer here in NJ, but still didn't have any issues.

The spot I used is very flat and smooth, so I'm sure that helps. There aren't many other good mounting surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is Awesome.
    It's funny I had been thinking how to repurpose
    +1 on that. Keep those ideas coming.
    The 3m on the back is not great with temp flux.
    I replaced it with 3M auto tape from Amazon
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I used the 3m tape that came with it right there and t fell off. I've tried several other spots with no luck. It was a bloody hot summer this year so maybe that could be it?
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    InfamousZoltanSTi

I used the 3m tape that came with it right there and t fell off. I've tried several other spots with no luck. It was a bloody hot summer this year so maybe that could be it?
    It's possible. This 3M tape has held up well for me so far, but in the past other adhesives (on other projects) haven't held up in the heat. It also depends on how clean the surface was before you attempted to stick the mount. Any ArmorAll or dash protectant will put a film on the dash, it's important to use some alcohol to clean the area down to the bare material.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Try the 3M automotive tape, it sticks to almost anything. Withstands heat and cold.
    The same stuff that's on the body moldings. Sticks like a champ.
    Way better than what came on the back. Stuff is quality.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Try the 3M automotive tape, it sticks to almost anything. Withstands heat and cold.
    The same stuff that's on the body moldings. Sticks like a champ.
    Way better than what came on the back. Stuff is quality.
    I will try it! Thanks!!

Stink Eye Mob #801
    InfamousZoltanSTi