check engine light problem with 2003 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on check engine light problem with 2003 wrx within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Like the title states I'm having a check engine light problem. It doesn't come on with the key turned to ...

Like the title states I'm having a check engine light problem. It doesn't come on with the key turned to the on position with the other idiot lights, and doesn't come on when there's a code. I looked at the bulb and it seems to be blown. But the bulb is soldered to the board. Does anyone know what type of bulb it is and where to find it?

My car is a 2003 wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It shouldn't be soldered. Should be in a twist in/out base. Bulb should be a "74". Sometimes they can be found at the autostores. If not candlepower.com might have them.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

i figured it would be a twist bulb also. but its not.

I Support ClubWRX

Huh. Right on the board it is seeming to indicate it is a LED "74" style bulb. Look to the right of your finger right above "check engine"
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yeah. It's there. But like I said its soldered to the board. I was wondering if anyone had the cel not work and how did they go about replacing it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you measured impedance across the solder points? I'd suspect a cold solder before I suspected a failed LED in any case, so I'd try carefully to warm up the solder points and make sure they're even and OK first. Disclaimer: If you follow my advice you do so at your own risk; I am not responsible for any damage to any object or person within a 100 km radius should you chose to do this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No I haven't tried that yet. I guess just measure the ohms?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mofeel View Post
    No I haven't tried that yet. I guess just measure the ohms?
    I would suppose so. The object would be to determine quickly whether you are looking at a fault with the LED and/or its connections rather than a fault with the signal from the ECU. The latter is less likely IMO but it's free to check. To compare, find another LED on the circuit that you know works and measure across those solders for reference.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok. I'll get a multi meter and test it. Then report back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Now that I think of it, we're assuming it's an LED therefore a diode. To test, a multimeter will have a diode function where the meter itself supplies voltage and you look for light. See YouTube for videos and you'll see what I mean.

ok. i dont think mine has that function. ill look for one today.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.