2015 WRX Steering Wheel Accessory
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX Steering Wheel Accessory within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All, For the past month I have been trying to come up with something to blend the bland silvery ...

Thumbs up 2015 WRX Steering Wheel Accessory

Hello All,

For the past month I have been trying to come up with something to blend the bland silvery area on the bottom the steering wheel with the rest of the interior. The Sti has a good thing going with the small badging in that area but none such for the WRX. The GTI wheel is even betterer than that because there is nothing to fill in!

I wanted to darken that part of the wheel mostly because it was the area of the entire interior, that had the most light-shaded material all in one place. It was the only part of the interior I felt looked ugly too. I even got past the faux carbon fiber panels on the dash. I've seen others use vinyl overlays that also do a pretty good job at toning down the contrast.

I made a few mockups with different materials to see what I thought looked best. I wanted to find a leatherette material that matched the dash pad but, I couldn't find anything close enough. What I liked most was the look of pre-laminated carbon fiber. It looks similar enough to the dash interts and has a nice reflection to it. I made a small filler with the material and applied it directly to the steering wheel. It seems to belong there after having it for a couple weeks. I approve!

[IMG]photo 2 by awduh1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]photo by awduh1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 5 by awduh1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 3 by awduh1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also wanted to put a WRX badge in there somewhere (CVT does not have one on the shifter panel like the 6-spd) so, I made one out of stainless steel to fill the gap. I know I used the older WRX insignia but, I think the new one would look too generic in the same place. The new logo seems to be missing some speed. Also, please ignore the exposed tape, it's only temporarily holding the badge in place.

Anyways, I'm posting this because I want to see if any other 2015 owners have had similar ideas with their wheel. And I'd like to see what you did about it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good. I personally like the blank carbon fiber insert better. Maybe you can also wrap carbon fiber around the controls
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Shifter Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | OEM STI & Morimoto Mini H1 Quad HID Retrofit | XSB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake | CNT Catted Divorced Downpipe W/Titanium Wrap and Grimmspeed Heatshild | Grimmspeed Pink Radiator Shroud & Alternator Cover

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

Door_Entry_1 by awduh1, on Flickr

I cant tell if I like it more with or without the badge. I may wait a while before I take anything apart to do wraps. It would look nice, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think they all look amazing! This was always a glaring sore spot for me on an otherwise fantastic steering wheel. My pref would be with the WRX badge if I had to choose. If you ever want to make multiples of these, consider me your first customer!

Prefer with WRX badge

I'm working on a good way to make the badges. I think cast aluminum would look just as good, if not better, than the SS one. Brushed aluminum might look better than the polished look too. I'll post pictures of what I come up with but, it may take a couple weeks.

If you're making them to sell count me in. I hate the bland piece of plastic. Your piece dresses it up nicely and looks factory!
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

If you would be interested in the carbon fiber portion without the badge, I can make more. PM me and we can chat about it if you are.

I am trying to figure out how you can remove the trimp piece where the overlay is placed, I want to plasti dip that silver piece black and I know it can be done

This guy has an youTube channel and documents every project on his '15 WRX. I remember seeing that he did this to his wheel a few weeks ago.

Looks like you have to drill a hole in the back plastic in order to get it off the wheel. This would be a deal breaker for me.. Seems crazy but he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIea7uyOOW8

Quote Originally Posted by SoSlo2 View Post
    This guy has an youTube channel and documents every project on his '15 WRX. I remember seeing that he did this to his wheel a few weeks ago.

Looks like you have to drill a hole in the back plastic in order to get it off the wheel. This would be a deal breaker for me.. Seems crazy but he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIea7uyOOW8
    Thanks I already figured it out and drilled the hole as well to access the Phillips screw. Not a big deal at all to me, as I will plug the drill hole. It will look as though it came like that from factory. My plastic dip piece looks excellent I basically have all the same mods done to my interior as he does. Now to move on to installing my stage 2 parts and springs

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That looks great! very nice work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.