Xtreme Dynamat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Xtreme Dynamat? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I have had my 2011 WRX 5 door Premium for about 3 months now, and I have noticed ...

Xtreme Dynamat?

Hey guys.

I have had my 2011 WRX 5 door Premium for about 3 months now, and I have noticed that there is quite a bit of road noise & a couple of rattles.

I am planning on doing a stage 2 kit after tax season, so I imagine that the cabin will only get noisier.

I have been thinking about using dynamat and do the entire interior of the car.

My questions are:

1. Is it worth it?
    2. Do I do every square inch including the head liner?
    3. Is this something I could do my self? or should I pay someone?
    4. Are there any other products that would work as a substitute?

Thanks for your time

Cole

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Replace all of your body panels with dynamat. It will soundproof your car entirely.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    hahaha gregs a fat chick

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't have any experience with this stuff personally in my car, but I've ridden in cars with and without dynamat (same model) and the difference is like night and day. Good noises in, bad noises out. I'd do it if i had the money. You will be gaining weight though. Apparently a lot like I do, Bill.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

needz moar road noise. becauseracecar.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Lot of good information on this site:

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

I Support ClubWRX
    I have dynamat in my car. It does reduce road noise. But it does not eliminate it altogether. Although I did not dynamat the firewall or the entire floor of the car. It is not cheap.

Especially if you have a hatch the exhaust sounds will still be very audible. Dynamat also does not reduce nor eliminate drone. For that you would need Closed cell foam. I installed closed cell foam in the hatch area. Didn't make much of a difference. Also a word of caution, once installed don't think you will ever be able to take it off. Also dynamat is really heavy. So it will add to the weight of the car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Xtreme Dynamat?

Yeah horribly heavy - I just did my trunk and I cringe when I think about the weight

(Oh I used stinger roadkill)

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    Yeah horribly heavy - I just did my trunk and I cringe when I think about the weight
    +1. I installed an SPT catback on my sedan which was considerably louder than I had expected. Much more so than I could tell from the numerous YouTube videos I watched before buying. The exhaust system was also significantly heavier than the stock one. I bought a roll of Dynamat-equivalent just to line the trunk in hopes that it would deaden the sound a little. And, I too cringed when I felt the weight of it. When I was ready to install it, I left it lying in the sun to make it more malleable, which helped a little. However, this being my first time, I spent about four hours leaning into the trunk, cutting and rolling the stuff on.

I think it helped with the sound, but only a very small amount. Perhaps just the thought of the weight I've added between the Dynamat and the exhaust makes me want to believe it helped. Would I add this to my whole car? Heck, no.

I Support ClubWRX
    Embrace the roadnoise. Rattles and roadnoise are my new favorite song. It's part of owning our cars

My roadnoise did reduce slightly when I got better summer tires, but I definitely still have a lot of noise. You get used to it.

I am not too concerned about weight as this is my daily driver. I plan on doing everything but the headliner.

I will not be doing any closed foam stuff. I want it to be able to be removed when I retire this as my DD and turn into a auto x car.

As Rage said, don't expect to ever be able to remove the Dynamat. I can't speak for that exact brand, but I'm assuming the stuff I used is very similar. The adhesive is like tar. I don't know if I could even remove it with a heat gun.

Dynamat and most similar products are layers of aluminum between layers of butyl rubber which is also the adhesive, the same stuff that is used to seal headlight housings.Heated up to 200F it should peel off but it will take a long time, will be difficult, and will not come off clean. You will have bits of butyl rubber every where.

As for using it, to get the benefits of the mat you only need to cover 25-30% of the panel so weight gain shouldn't be that much considering Dynamat Extreme weighs roughly .45 lbs/ft^2. Their door kit includes 3 ft^2 and is supposed to be enough for two doors. 6 ft^2 for the doors.
    The floor of the trunk in the hatch is I would estimate 20 ft^2 so we only need 5-7 ft^2 for the trunk.
    Add another 2 ft^2 for the hatch itself and 3 more for the wheel wells and sides of cargo area.
    To do the firewall I'd guess that it is around 15-20 ft^2 so let's do another 7 Ft^2 to be safe.
    Do 10 ft^2 for the roof and you have everything but the floor properly damped with roughly 35 ft^2 which is only 15.75 pounds over stock.
    Add another 12 feet and you can have the entire cabin effectively damped against vibrations using 47 ft^2 and adding 21.15 pounds over stock

Also Rage-WRX, as you found out closed cell foam will pretty much do nothing as a sound barrier. It is too light and not dense enough to block really anything. Closed cell foam is best used between two objects that would other wise contact each other and produce a rattle such as the wires in the doors hitting the door frame or skin or placing it between interior panels and the steel body.

For a barrier to prevent exhaust, wind, road, and traffic noise you need Mass Loaded Vinyl. If you made a mat covering the entire floor of the trunk it would significantly reduce noise from below it. However like any good barrier it shouldn't have gaps and it weighs around 1lb/ft^2.
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 03-21-2014 at 11:53 AM.

The reason I used it in the trunk was to add weight to the panels to prevent them reverberating from the exhaust - it cut down some focal nasty acoustic areas in the cabin but didn't make it much (if any quieter ) and yes I never expect to be able to remove it - if you do do the whole car post picks and let us know how it turns out

Xtreme Dynamat?

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post

For a barrier to prevent exhaust, wind, road, and traffic noise you need Mass Loaded Vinyl. If you made a mat covering the entire floor of the trunk it would significantly reduce noise from below it. However like any good barrier it shouldn't have gaps and it weighs around 1lb/ft^2.
    Problem is you have those vents either side of the trunk, which shouldn't really be covered I would assume they would still let in a fair bit of noise - I also hear the hollow pillars let a lot back into the cabin - they are not that far from the vents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast