Upholstery (roof, pillars, etc)

This is a discussion on Upholstery (roof, pillars, etc) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So ever since I got my subie ('12) it has driven me absolutely bonkers that the interior is two toned. ...

Upholstery (roof, pillars, etc)

So ever since I got my subie ('12) it has driven me absolutely bonkers that the interior is two toned. I hate that the roof is that ugly beige/gray! I was thinking of covering it so that everything matches (all black) or even doing something kinda fun like polka dots People always think a boy drives my car so I thought it would be kinda cool to give it a little girly-ish vibe. The polka dots was just an idea because I love them, but I would love to at least do black so I can finally get rid of this gray!

My concern lies with the airbags. I don't want to cause any safety issues... I know people have done it before, I know it's relatively simple but I just want to make sure I don't run into any problems.

I tried to find a thread about this, but not luck. I found some really good pictures through another site, but no description or anything. Has anyone done this successfully? I'd love any help and/or pictures anyone would like to share

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There have been a handful of complaints about this in the past...

There is one excellent re-upholstery example, however, that I'd like to point you to: rsuttons JPM coachworks interior.

Complete Interior Redesign on 2011 WRX by JPM Coachworks - NASIOC

Complete Interior Redesign on 2011 WRX by JPM Coachworks

Perhaps you could contact him via pm about how the airbags were affected.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Some people have plasti dipped the trim panels and have either dyed the headliner or re did it.

you need to just search with different keywords

Not My 2013 WRX Black Upper Interior Conversion

Suede interior panels [pics]
    Last edited by cflip2x; 01-17-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    There have been a handful of complaints about this in the past...

There is one excellent re-upholstery example, however, that I'd like to point you to: rsuttons JPM coachworks interior.

Complete Interior Redesign on 2011 WRX by JPM Coachworks - NASIOC

Complete Interior Redesign on 2011 WRX by JPM Coachworks

Perhaps you could contact him via pm about how the airbags were affected.
    I am in the process of converting my dash to full Alcantara and I have spoken to JPM about the exact issue of dash airbag deployment.

We use a depth adjustable knife to cut almost all the way through the material from the back side in the exact shape of the deployment door (an H shape). Hope that helps.
    I have done this freehand using an exacto style blade and it most certainly does the trick. It weakens the fabric greatly without making the outside appear different. Just make sure you don't put wet glue over the cut area because it will soak through.