Sparco Gas Pedal Install (2011 WRX)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sparco Gas Pedal Install (2011 WRX) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Miggs here again with another install. This was pretty easy, but I couldn't find anything on the inter-webs when ...

Sparco Gas Pedal Install (2011 WRX)

Hey Miggs here again with another install. This was pretty easy, but I couldn't find anything on the inter-webs when I searched, so hopefully this will help someone out. I am installing the Sparco gas pedal from the Sparco pedal set ( Sparco Race Pedal Set Silver 03779AN at RallySportDirect.com ). The purpose of this install is to make heel-toeing easier.

Things you will need:
    - 7mm and 12mm socket
    - 7mm wrench (or vice-grips as I used)
    - Hex key set (I used a T-10 Torx)
    - Drill and drill bits (I used .147)
    - Pliers (I used needle nose and small adjustable)
    - Opposable thumbs and a full set of phalanges

First thing you need to do is the pull the pedal assembly out. This can done by removing two 12mm bolts (circled in green) and a harness clip (boxed in orange).

Once you have the assembly out, you need to remove the OE aluminum cover. Gently pry back the prongs to remove

The next part is the trickiest. You need to map out where you intend to drill bolt holes. I recommend using a paint marker, and starting from the top. I only used 3 of the 4 pre-drilled holes, although you could easily get away with only using two. Once you have the first hole drilled, put the new pedal cover on, securing loosely with a bolt. Rotate the cover until you have decided your next drill location. Start the hole, then rotate the cover out of the way and finish drilling. Repeat until complete.

Here is the finished product, ready to be reinstalled!

After you install, you may get a check engine light and traction control light. These are for low voltage at the accelerator pedal; if you have an AccessPort, clear the codes and restart. If not, you can clear them by pulling the negative battery terminal and depressing the brake pedal. They may clear on their own after driving, but I cleared mine prior. After initial impressions, I am very happy! Not sure If I will install the other two pedals, but if I do I will edit this post. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Miggs; 01-05-2014 at 07:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great installation guide. I thought about installing a new set of pedals. Have you improved in doing heel-toe?

Quote Originally Posted by BlankWRX View Post
    Great installation guide. I thought about installing a new set of pedals. Have you improved in doing heel-toe?
    Thanks! The difference is incredible. For heel-toeing in our cars this is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Thanks! The difference is incredible. For heel-toeing in our cars this is a must.
    How is the grip on the pedal? My feet sometimes slip off the stock pedals when it rains, so I'm curious as to how these feel.

How is the grip on the pedal? My feet sometimes slip off the stock pedals when it rains, so I'm curious as to how these feel.
    They feel pretty good. I know what you mean, mine slip after a simple car wash! (Stock of course). When the pedals are wet/slick, I generally scoot my seat up a bit to improve the angle of depression on the pedal(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    They feel pretty good. I know what you mean, mine slip after a simple car wash! (Stock of course). When the pedals are wet/slick, I generally scoot my seat up a bit to improve the angle of depression on the pedal(s).
    Any reason why you didn't want to install the clutch/brake pedals? I just ordered a set from RSD, will give an update once I have everything installed!

Any reason why you didn't want to install the clutch/brake pedals? I just ordered a set from RSD, will give an update once I have everything installed!
    Just haven't gotten around to it, the biggest beef I had was with the gas pedal. GL!

I guess I must be doing something wrong, because my last two cars (Civic Si and RSX-S) required that I "roll" my foot over and tap the gas with the upper arch of my foot (with my toe on the brake pedal). The Civic Si was the best, since it was hinged on the bottom of the gas pedal, so I could literally "heel" the gas.

But with the WRX, the brake pedal sits SO HIGH that I can't possibly roll my ankle enough to tap the gas. I've tried "spanning" the brake and gas, but it is awkward and I end up hitting the brake too hard just to get enough movement on my foot to touch the gas pedal.

I'm just curious how this pedal kit solves that problem? I see the side protrusion, but as I said, the brake pedal is so much higher than the gas, I can't really even twist my foot properly to touch it. Isn't there any gas pedal kit that extends it lengthwise rather than width-wise ? I'd like to jam my heel down and hit the gas pedal, but it's too short for that.

Like I said, this is weird since my other cars were SO easy to heel-toe. I can't seem to figure out my WRX, though.

I had problems doing heel-toe in the WRX at first, but I realized that I just need to lift my foot higher when I press the brake pedal. But there are also times I mess up because my foot slips in between the gas and brake (size 8.5 shoes)

The pedals are close enough with the Sparco gas pedal cover to allow multiple options for heel toeing. The first few days after install I accidentally depressed both pedals simultaneously because I was used to that big gap. I will post some pics later to show you exactly what I mean. It's a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by kite991 View Post
    I had problems doing heel-toe in the WRX at first, but I realized that I just need to lift my foot higher when I press the brake pedal. But there are also times I mess up because my foot slips in between the gas and brake (size 8.5 shoes)
    Awesome hint! I tried shifting my foot up about 2-3 inches today and it worked like a charm! I still need to practice a bit more, as I tend to depress the brake a little too hard now because my leg is raised up higher, but at least I'm squarely catching the gas pedal. I guess I am just so accustomed to keeping my heel on the floor as I hit the brake, and then try to rotate it over to catch the gas pedal. But now I have to lift my foot a bit while I hit the brakes. I'll get used to it. Thanks again for the hint.

I installed the Sparco gas pedal and it has helped a bit because the pedal extends out about an extra inch or so. I'm still working on my heel-toe, although I'm nailing it here and there. I've realized I don't do the traditional "heel-toe", I do more of a "toe-toe" maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post
    Awesome hint! I tried shifting my foot up about 2-3 inches today and it worked like a charm! I still need to practice a bit more, as I tend to depress the brake a little too hard now because my leg is raised up higher, but at least I'm squarely catching the gas pedal. I guess I am just so accustomed to keeping my heel on the floor as I hit the brake, and then try to rotate it over to catch the gas pedal. But now I have to lift my foot a bit while I hit the brakes. I'll get used to it. Thanks again for the hint.
    No problem, it does take a bit of getting used to doing a lighter tap on the brake since your foot is higher up. Before I realized that this car has a slight slope next to the gas pedal which my heel kept knocking into when I tried to go into heel toe.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.