Steering wheel tilt disabled???

This is a discussion on Steering wheel tilt disabled??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, random quick question: I recently bought an 03 wrx and yesterday noticed that the steering wheel cannot tilt. ...

Steering wheel tilt disabled???

Hey guys, random quick question: I recently bought an 03 wrx and yesterday noticed that the steering wheel cannot tilt. I pulled the tilt lock lever on the left side of the steering column all the way down and the tilt still feels totally locked. I'm wondering if the previous owner may have disabled it somehow?? it has the OEM boost gauge on the top right of the steering column with the line going back and down into the steering column dust boot. I could see how maybe with the gauge installed the steering tilt might interfere with the gauge lines, or is this just weird?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's weird.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

plain weird! my wrx has the boost gauge in the same place and it barely interferes with the steering tilt.....

Played around with it some more.. I finally just gave it a really hard pull down and it moved a bit. Then pushed up really hard and it moved back. It almost feels like its dirty or sticky in there. Just one more of the many quirks I'm finding in this particular car.

On a related note, the steering column is also crooked. After doing some searching (both in the car and online) I think it's because of that firewall ring that the steering shaft goes through. The rubber part is definitely out of place and everything looks cockeyed. Anybody know how to situate that properly? I'm hoping not to have to buy any parts, just want to straighten it and maybe also seal up the firewall better. I seem to get a lot of engine noise coming from somewhere around my feet and I'm guessing that's why.

Like I said, quirks.