Shift knob weight
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shift knob weight within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm about to buy a WC lathewerks shiftknob? I was just wondering what a good weight was? The stock one ...

Shift knob weight

I'm about to buy a WC lathewerks shiftknob? I was just wondering what a good weight was? The stock one doesn't feel very good for shifting? I know it's my personal preference but some ideas? Not to heavy and not to light. So I guess the happy medium. I just want to feel solid and crisp shifts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Heavier makes shifting feel more precise and like it "locks" into place. The stock WRX shift knob is actually heavier than a lot of what WC makes. The heaviest they have are going to be the stainless steel options.

I got a solid aluminum piston from WC and it is only a few grams heavier than the stock knob.

If you want solid and crisp shifts, then you need to upgrade bushings. That will make more of a difference.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I already have the SPT short throwshifter with STI bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Heavier makes shifting feel more precise and like it "locks" into place. The stock WRX shift knob is actually heavier than a lot of what WC makes. The heaviest they have are going to be the stainless steel options.

I got a solid aluminum piston from WC and it is only a few grams heavier than the stock knob.

If you want solid and crisp shifts, then you need to upgrade bushings. That will make more of a difference.

Check out the Anarchy Motive knob. Serious weight. Very good quality.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Those bushings arent the best ones maybe eventually switch to kartboy.
    Im happy with my Lathewerks shift knob. The only thing "bad" I can say about it is since I got the Titanium one its affected by the temperature.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Those bushings arent the best ones maybe eventually switch to kartboy.
    Im happy with my Lathewerks shift knob. The only thing "bad" I can say about it is since I got the Titanium one its affected by the temperature.
    That's what I was going to say. While an improvement over the stock soft rubber, it's still another grade of rubber. KB bushings are Urethane and will be better.

I'm on my 4th Lathewerks knob...loved them all. I will agree on the heat though...I had a solid aluminum sphere which would feel like shifting with a freshly lit charcoal briquette from my grill in the summer.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I've got a Blox 490g shift knob with the cobb adjustable short throw and bushings.
    Dont really like the cobb short throw. had to drill and put a set pin in the bottom part cause it wouldnt hold the rod stationary
    Last edited by Epictofer; 12-12-2013 at 06:14 AM.

I bit the bullet and decided to join a group buy for an Anarchy Motive shift knob. I looked a whole bunch of different companies. This was the first manual car I've ever owned so I didn't have a preference of light or heavy shift knobs so I bit the bullet and in the end I decided to go with one of the heavier knobs on the market, plus the group buy means it'll be slightly cheaper than msrp.

I bought a Moddiction dark silver weighted spherical shift knob. It is pretty heavy! A nice wrinkle finish so it should be good in the cold and in the hot.

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    I bought a Moddiction dark silver weighted spherical shift knob. It is pretty heavy! A nice wrinkle finish so it should be good in the cold and in the hot.
    Any chance you have pics of it on your suby? I've been thinking about the exact same one.

It is a gift from my brother for Christmas so I won't get it until we get together. I will for sure take a pic with it on after I get it!

Awesome. Lookin forward to some pictures when you get it. I'm looking at the exact same knob.

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    A nice wrinkle finish so it should be good in the cold and in the hot.
    I doubt it. I had a knob that was coated in some wrinkle powdercoat, thing still got hot and cold, though maybe a little less than with bare metal. There's a reason I only do Delrin nowadays though, and am considoring just drilling some holes inside the knob to add weights.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    I doubt it. I had a knob that was coated in some wrinkle powdercoat, thing still got hot and cold, though maybe a little less than with bare metal. There's a reason I only do Delrin nowadays though, and am considoring just drilling some holes inside the knob to add weights.
    I know it should still get warm and cool but definitely better than stainless lol

I just ordered a WC Latheworks knob last night. Ordered the stainless steel one with the gunmetal tint. Supposedly they're all a tiny bit different when being tinted, since the process is done by heating the knob up until it changes colors, so hopefully mine comes out awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.