kartboy ss + extension?

This is a discussion on kartboy ss + extension? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i have a kartboy ss w/ a kb knob on my 02 wrx and was thinkin about installing an ...

kartboy ss + extension?

so i have a kartboy ss w/ a kb knob on my 02 wrx and was thinkin about installing an extension to get it as close as possible to the steering wheel. i want shorter shifts but i dont know if its counter productive to extend it if it wud just bring me back to stock? i was looking at this one on ebay from sickspeed (Polished Shift Knob Extension for Manual Gear Shifter Lever 254mm Extended 10" A | eBay) its a 10" extension, anyone bought from them before? wat do u think of their products?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    putting an extension on a short shifter will, in fact, be counter productive. It will significantly increase your shift throw, and especially a 10 inch extension. With that long of an extension my guess is that your new throw may even be longer than that of the stock throw.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    The length of the shifter has nothing to do with the length of the throws. The short throw shifter has a different overall geometry than the stock shifter,which makes the throws shorter. What the extension does is it shortens the time it takes for you to move your hand from the steering wheel to the shifter.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

The length of the shifter would actually increase the length of the throw. Extreme example: if the shifter was 6ft long the start location and end location would be much farther apart than if the shifter was 3 inches long. It's pivoting around that bolt.

I will agree that comparing stock to KB shifter the bottom half is longer, which shortens the throw.

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I fear there's a reason they don't show it installed!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Meh just drop in a rally transmission with sequential dual clutch gears.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    The length of the shifter would actually increase the length of the throw. Extreme example: if the shifter was 6ft long the start location and end location would be much farther apart than if the shifter was 3 inches long. It's pivoting around that bolt.

I will agree that comparing stock to KB shifter the bottom half is longer, which shortens the throw.

Sent from my iPwn
    My logic exactly, I know the bottom half is a little longer and that helps the situation a little. But if you are adding a 10 inch extension then the throw will be close to, if not more, than the stock throw. Below is a picture I drew (in paint in about 5 minutes, please excuse the lack of detail) to help explain this.

Last edited by McBill; 11-19-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: I cants spells
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14