ELD question

This is a discussion on ELD question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am thinking about taking out the stock stereo and putting in my own. Does anyone know if the 2014 ...

ELD question

I am thinking about taking out the stock stereo and putting in my own. Does anyone know if the 2014 WRX has a ELD (electrical load detection) system? I know my 2011 Civic SI had one and was kind of a pain to bypass. I could not find any reliable data on this for the WRX. I want to minimize voltage drop issues and if a ELD system is in place I need to figure out how to bypass it.

I am not going to install a crazy SPL geared system but I will be drawing significantly more amperage then the stock system currently presents.

Also I need to see where I can find adapters for retaining steering wheel controls, keeping the stock usb port in the center counsel functional, and whatever else might come in handy for the head unit replacement. I saw a thread with a link to a site were all of this was available but I cannot seem to find the thread again.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here:

Parts Needed To Install Aftermarket Head Unit In Subaru Impreza/WRX/STI/Forester/Crosstrek

SVXdc (David Carter) seems to mostly be active over at the NASIOC forums.

I've read nothing about an ELD on the WRX. The above link will tell you what you need to know about replacing a head unit, including keeping the steering wheel controls and the ports in the console.

For third-party amps and subwoofers, you may need different sources.

Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Here:

Parts Needed To Install Aftermarket Head Unit In Subaru Impreza/WRX/STI/Forester/Crosstrek

SVXdc (David Carter) seems to mostly be active over at the NASIOC forums.

I've read nothing about an ELD on the WRX. The above link will tell you what you need to know about replacing a head unit, including keeping the steering wheel controls and the ports in the console.

For third-party amps and subwoofers, you may need different sources.
    Thank you, that was the exact link I was looking for.

I asked this question a while back and I can say with certainty that my 2012 WRX DOES NOT have an ELD. My voltage reading on the Pioneer DEH-80PRS is always in the 14s with the car running.

My 1997 Civic EX coupe would start in the high 13s then drop to the 12s. In order to put an SPL system in that car, I ran an ODB1 ECU that had ELD programmed out of the rom. The weird thing is that car's stock and aftermarket high output alternator only read in the mid to high 13s whereas my 2006 Mustang GT read in the 14s with a custom wound alternator. Granted I didn't always have the Pioneer to test voltage, but I do have a Fluke 117 voltage meter and ran a stinger voltage meter in the Civic.