What short shifter?

This is a discussion on What short shifter? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I was just wondering what short shifters everyone was running? I was looking at Kartboy and was wondering ...

What short shifter?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what short shifters everyone was running? I was looking at Kartboy and was wondering if anyone has something to say about them? I had another question. Is it worth doing the whole kit with bushings and what not or just go with the short throw?

Thanks for any help!
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    KartBoy is really good, a majority of the people who do the STS upgrade choose KB for a reason. It's hard to find a better option.

Replacing all the bushings is highly recommended. It isn't an easy DIY to get the rear bushings on but, it makes a huge improvement

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I have a Torque Solution one, which is similar to the KB. Seems well made. (In the USA.) I haven't yet done the bushings. Lazy, I guess. Shifts seem crisp enough for me with the stock pieces.

The most elegant one I've seen is:

Subaru Impreza WRX 2008+ Short Throw Shifter

It is machined from a single piece of steel - no welds to fail. Expensive, of course.

An adjustable unit is another choice. The people who have the Cobb shifters seem to like them. (They require some trimming of a metal bracket in a 2008+ WRX, to fit. Doesn't look like major increase in labor.)

I got the bushing with the kart boy SS for about 500 miles now - it's too stiff for me (professional install so I have to assume it was done right) if I could have done it over I would have done the SS first and seen how I liked it , then considered bushings

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    I got the bushing with the kart boy SS for about 500 miles now - it's too stiff for me (professional install so I have to assume it was done right) if I could have done it over I would have done the SS first and seen how I liked it , then considered bushings
    There's a good chance they over-tightened the bolt that goes through the pivot point of the shift lever. That or they might not have transferred enough of the grease over at install time.

The bolt only needs like 8 ft/lbs or something crazy low. I over-tightened mine and had to go back in later. While I was there I added some grease and it shifts nicely now.

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    Do you have the grinding/banging noise I hear on many reviews after the bushing install?
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    Do you have the grinding/banging noise I hear on many reviews after the bushing install?
    No - if I slam the gears the stick stops abruptly and makes a tap noise (not really a bang) which I would expect , from 1 down into 2 I get a little resistance mid shift and some engine noise transmitted into the cabin during the resistance ( I assume again just from contact with the stiffer bushing) this is a different noise than the transmission whine in gears 1 and 2 (which I actually like) otherwise over all just a little notchier than I like - it just makes me wonder what it would have felt like with the SS alone. Plus the only reason I paid someone to do it was for the bushings - I think I should have done the SS myself first - then considered bushings

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poi88
    No - if I slam the gears the stick stops abruptly and makes a tap noise (not really a bang) which I would expect , from 1 down into 2 I get a little resistance mid shift and some engine noise transmitted into the cabin during the resistance ( I assume again just from contact with the stiffer bushing) this is a different noise than the transmission whine in gears 1 and 2 (which I actually like) otherwise over all just a little notchier than I like - it just makes me wonder what it would have felt like with the SS alone. Plus the only reason I paid someone to do it was for the bushings - I think I should have done the SS myself first - then considered bushings
    Bushings are more important than the lever. With lever only, you still have a lackluster shifter feel...

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx
    That is typically caused by user error during install (e.g., overtightening the pivot bolt).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

What short shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Bushings are more important than the lever. With lever only, you still have a lackluster shifter feel...

Sure, but I might like what you consider lackluster or maybe not - It did feel too sloppy before (and throws felt too long) but now maybe it's gone too far - just my opinion - the reason I did the bushings was because , like you , most people reported it made the biggest difference

So just with just the lever you saw no improvement in 'tightness' ? I would have assumed a throw that is 40 percent shorter would also result on 40% less play, and at least a slightly firmer feel?
    Last edited by poi88; 09-28-2013 at 11:28 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poi88
    So just with just the lever you saw no improvement in 'tightness' ? I would have assumed a throw that is 40 percent shorter would also result on 40% less play, and at least a slightly firmer feel?
    No..."tightness", "less play", and "firmer feel" have 100% to do with the bushings, and 0% to do with the lever itself. You move your hand less between gear changes, but it still has a sloppy feel.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    No..."tightness", "less play", and "firmer feel" have 100% to do with the bushings, and 0% to do with the lever itself. You move your hand less between gear changes, but it still has a sloppy feel.
    Mmmm ok , if you say so. ... But I seriously doubt it makes absolutely no difference I mean the aftermarket bushings are the same size right - just stiffer ? Yet with my short throw shifter installed when it's in gear there is less sideways play in the lever , not because the the bushings are stiffer but because the throw is shorter - I mean the bushings weren't that soft before that I was able to crush them with gentle sideways motion of my hand (while in gear) that decrease in play definitely noticeable

The entire gear pattern is compressed with a shorter throw shifter including the lateral direction - as a result laxity in the lever is also compressed to the same extent as the throw is shortened

I went with the kartboy w/o the bushings. I will get them later when I'm not at school so I can Use the lift at my old shop.

I threw the cobb short shifter and bushings in. I have no complaints about it.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

Well I got the kartboy installed in about 20 minutes. I just watched videos on youtube and went for it. I am very pleased with it. I think I need to adjust the snap ring because when shifting to 1,3,5 the shifter pops up a 1/4 inch. Its really nothing but it bothers me. Other than that I love it and cobb knob looks good with the interior.