Digital Gauges

This is a discussion on Digital Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Pt.1 Digital gauges have always been something I’ve liked, the vast amount of information you can get on one simple ...

Digital Gauges

Pt.1

Digital gauges have always been something I’ve liked, the vast amount of information you can get on one simple display digitally vs multiple analog gauges is mind blowing. My time with digital gauges has primarily been in the performance diesel industry. On practically every one of our diesels at our shop, several of which are pushing the 1000+hp range we run the Insight CTS monitors by Edge Products.

These gauges show all the PIDs available by the vehicle, gives you the ability to read and clear codes, run performance tests, along with other diagnostic tests. When I started to work on my 2004 WRX one of the first things I did was to replace the factory boost gauge with a aftermarket gauge and an Edge Products digital unit. Immediately I was disappointed with the lack of information the unit could give me. Essentially all it could do was give me coolant temp, and clear any codes I had on the fly. I called up the guys at Edge Products and started to talk to them about the potential market for a set of digital gauges in our Subarus. Being primarily a diesel company they had not sniffed out all the PIDs in other vehicles such as the Subarus yet.

A few months later they informed me that they had a working prototype for me to test out. I updated my unit the same morning as our dyno event so I didn’t get much time to play with it. But immediately I noticed that it showed several of the same PIDs that the Cobb Access Port displays. A/F ratios, boost, pulse widths, performance calculators, etc. The one big advantage of the Insight unit is its ability to accept aftermarket sensors. I plan on installing a pyro probe in the up pipe, along with at least one pressure sensor to monitor other parameters, and a backup camera just for kicks.

As of time of writing this I have actually been given a newer prototype unit to test out that also features an accelerometer for enhanced features which I hope to be installing this week and will be part 2 of this.

Our race truck. laid down 1200hp, since 1200hp was not enough we are currently putting much larger injectors (~150 lpm which is like 150,000 ccm), and injection pumps on it. Runs a Edge Insight CTS digital gauge.

WRX these gauges are being installed on

Initial install of the smaller, non touch screen CS version. Installed in a SMY dual pod along with a ProSport boost gauge

Set up in the car. Now that i have a larger Color Touch Screen unit im going to be installing that in the right pod location and moving the boost gauge to the left

The new larger unit with available pressure sensors, and pyro probe.

let me know what you guys think of digital gauge setups like this and i can relay the info back to the manufacture. they are extremely willing to take customer feedback to make us a better product. I personally am excited about the potential that this type of product can offer us
    Last edited by Blackcloud556; 09-26-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the Ultragauge and I like the extra info it provides probably not as accurate as the one you have. Im not a fan of your location I feel it may be a little bit in the way but its your preference. I would like it located a little higher up on the dash though that would involve a little more work to make it blend with the dash.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Its gonna get moved over to the right pod hole so that it does not obstruct as much. From the factory it comes with a windshield suction cup mount, or you can mount it in any standard pod hole.

So curriosity got the best of me and i decided to run out to the parking lot and just toss the unit into my dash to see what some of the new features looked like since only a few people in the country have this unit. These following pics are just a few of the display options.

Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

put the unit in the right pod hole last night.

Started by installing a pyro. put it right before the up pipe. also realized that i need to clean my engine bay pretty bad like. lol

The imput for sensors is pretty straight forward, all sensors plug into a connector that then plugs into the back of the gauge, you can stack multiple sensors together. here i just have the pyro hooked up as i have not figured out how i want to do the pressure sensors yet

So throwing the larger unit in the right hole does not block the cluster at all. but now the steering wheel gets in the way. I can still see most of the gauge, but its annoying. Thinking im gonna buy the clock pod and throw it up on the dash next.

side view
    [IMG][/IMG]

driving down the freeway.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

This is really cool! I was thinking about getting a Ultragauge but I like that this supports additional sensors.

Is data logging possible?

Also will you have to flash the ECU or is it plug and play?

It does support data logging. and its all plug and play. Been talking to them about possibly doing tuning in the future with one of these units.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

Awesome! This looks like it would be the perfect fit for what I'm wanting.