Need advice on carpet and seat install / replacement

This is a discussion on Need advice on carpet and seat install / replacement within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The WRX is 9.5 years old and the driver side seat back and carpet look every bit of it. I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Need advice on carpet and seat install / replacement

The WRX is 9.5 years old and the driver side seat back and carpet look every bit of it. I need to replace the carpet - seems easy enough. Are there good aftermarket options here? Haven't dug into that much yet.

The seat is more complicated obviously. The OEM covers seem to come off. I found what appear to be a decent set of OEM covers on NASIOC however I've never liked the OEM fabric. The STi material is much nicer. I suppose new OEM covers would cost an awful lot.

Was looking at 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan Seat Covers from GT Covers but know nothing about them. A local shop with a good reputation might be a better choice.

My other concern - I'm a big guy, 6' 3" 300 pound-ish. I've done a fair amount of autox and other hard cornering over the years. Has anyone ever heard of the seat frames actually breaking? I'd hate to drop $ into re-upholstering and have that happen. There are a few sets of STi seats on NASIOC I've expressed interest in.

Your thoughts, ideas and the like please?
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The frames no, the pivot points maybe but only after a big BAANNGG!!! event from what I hear. The seat is part of the safety equipment so it is made to generally stay together.

I'd talk to an upholsterer or tanner or something locally. Who's to say if you get covers and DIY that your foam is in decent shape still? The changes are subtle and one may not notice from day to day. Or, you could buy covers and have a shop install them rather than have to pull and yank and sweat and swear etc. if you so chose.

Also be mindful of the air bag in there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Still a concerned about seat breakage at whatever location. Cheap fabric (yes), carpet (oh yes), seat frame / build integrity?

I did consider the air bag ... I suppose a shop would know how to work around the little bomb far better than I could.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Seat covers you could buy raw material, buy some tools, and rent a sewing machine. Just cut up the current cover and use it as the template for the new material. If I find the DIY I'll link it, I was planning on doing this.

My carpet looked awful too, i got a blue sti carpet off eBay for $100 shipped. They usually go for around $150. The limited carpet is black i believe which was my backup option.

they also made leather bugeye seats and leather wrx seats 02-07 year models that are very nice too. they also cost less than the blue sti seats.

I Support ClubWRX
    I found an upholsterer who happens to live on a nearby street I use on my way home from work. He genuinely seems to obsess on details like I do with me engine bay. More to follow ...
    Mods & Pics

Any updates?

Way back in the days I had a motorbike seat re-upholstered. It needed to be extended in the front for a shorter tank. Turned out real nice and was surprisingly cheap. . . I know my comment is a bit late, but I'd ask those guys, probably a good alternative. They should also be able to judge the frame and padding, reinforce if needed.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    Any updates?
    Yes. He estimates $1000 just for labor (20 hours at $50 per). I simply said I can't do that ... and that was that. I'm thinking OEM seat covers DIY. Top Gear UK quote: "How hard could it possibly be?".

Ingo: Your sig ... "You can't have everything - where would you put it?". If I had had everything, I would presumably have everywhere as well.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Ouch.

When I was a student it was not uncommon to go agroad and have a car upholstered. This meant driving to Mexico. Good times.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.