Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 Subaru WRX

29K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  bobkn 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone knows where i can find the wiring diagram for my 2013 subaru wrx, i am installing my aftermarket stereo this weekend and also a steering wheel adapter..

Thanks

#4 ·
Maybe you misread, it says 2008 and up. I used they're wiring guide for my 2011 and had no problems.. yours should be the same. Where did you buy a wiring harness from to do your install? and what module did you buy for the steering wheel controls? I highly suggest buying both from ae64.com

Here is the pin-out list for the stock wiring, as well as their 20 pin forward harness used for 2008+ WRX
Subaru 20-pin radio harness pin-out

#6 ·
I have no experience with the Nissan harness, but I recall reading that they aren't 100% compatible...
My suggestion would be to return it if you can, and order the 20pin forward harness, and Metra Axxess ASWC (steering wheel controls) unit from ae64.com .... It will work perfectly..

What model head unit are you installing?

#7 ·
Pioneer AVH-X2500BT.... Also i am really leaning towards having the shop install everything even though that will be about 150 dollars.. I have heard that the steering wheel control adapter is just a hastle to install. If you can give me any insight on it that would be great...

#8 ·
This'll be the third link to the same site:

Parts Needed To Install Aftermarket Head Unit In Subaru Impreza/WRX/STI/Forester/Crosstrek

It describes what's needed to preserve the function of the SWC (steering wheel controls) when installing an aftermarket head unit. The harness that you have been sold does not include the pins for the SWC. What sort of SWC adapter did you buy (ASWC or PAC)?

Did you get a hardware adapter to fill the gap when a standard double DIN radio is mounted in a US spec WRX bezel? (double DIN is 7" wide; the standard US radio is 8".)

#9 ·
Yes i have the dash kit, i have the ASWC. I also have a seperate wiring harness for the stereo. I know how to install an aftermarket stereo. i was worried about installing the swc adapter because i have never done this before.

i have all the parts necessary just dont know if i want to jump in and try to do it with really no electrical background.

#16 ·
If you don't have the harness from SVXdc (David Carter), you'll need to tap into the WRX's wiring to connect the ASWC. I wanted plug & play, so I bought one of his.

Alternately, he supplies the pinouts so that you could add pins to the 20 pin Nissan connector that you have. If you're like me and don't have ready access to the right sort of pins, you could buy another connector and scavenge them.

I admit that I haven't done my install yet. I just got the last piece (parking brake bypass) on Monday, and I haven't had time to solder the harnesses together yet. I hope that I don't injure my back trying to run the BT mike and GPS antenna. ;-)

#11 · (Edited)
Dash kit = ugly spacing between the head unit and dash surround.
ASWC controls are 10x easier to install than PAC (ive done both)

Buy the JDM replacement fascia/bezel ("A/V panel") - Subaru part # 66065SC130 (if you want it to look OEM) and use the metal brackets from the stock head unit to mount.
.. as bobkn said, the Nissan harness does not have the pins for the AWSC control module...

For AWSC install, there are 4 wires that connect to the 20 pin harness.. it comes pre-programmed for your car (if you buy from ae64.com)
For PAC steering control install, you have to actually power bump the module using live power wire to install it (not recommended if you dont have experience)

For parking brake bypass, check out ebay here:
NEW Pioneer AVH X1500DVD AVH X2500BT AVH X3500BHS Parking Brake Bypass TR7 PAC | eBay
Otherwise you will have to connect the parking brake sensor in order to have full functionality of the Pioneer deck (again, much simpler to connect 3 wires instead of removing your console)

Total install took me apprx 30 min to complete with the parts listed, complete functionality, and here is a pic:

#13 · (Edited)
I cant confirm that personally, however, here is a quote directly from ae64.com

"Additional Notes/Tips:

For several more tips on installing an aftermarket HU with a Subaru 20-pin harness, see my 20-pin HU installation guide.

None of the aftermarket harness manufacturers includes the wires for Subaru's audio Steering Wheel Controls (SWCs), CAN data bus, or Dimmer (Illumination –). Some even omit the ground wire (which the Nissan factory harness doesn't have). If you need harnesses that include any or all of those wires:

Subaru 20-pin 'forward' harness with Ground and 2 or 3 SWC wires (and optionally Dimmer and CAN wires) — use to install an aftermarket HU"

Also, if your shop is saying that the AWSC is a pain in the a.. to install, they are probably splicing into your stock wiring harness, which is not a good thing.

#19 ·
I'm not sure it's especially bad. I expect that professional installers do it all the time.

For my own installation, I wanted to do all of the wire-to-wire connections outside the car. I'd just plug the harness into the radio and the Subaru connector (that plugs into the OEM radio).

If I ever wish to wire a backup camera, I'll have to find a reverse wire anyway. That's not included in any of the Subaru connectors for a WRX with the OEM radio that lacks navigation.

#20 ·
Its not bad if you have no other choice... for a brand new car, why would you splice into the stock wiring if you dont need to? There's not a whole lot of play in the stock harness, so you'd be working in a very tight location. Also, if you ever wanted to sell the car, or put the stock head unit back in for whatever reason.. you'd have to reverse the splice job to complete install. It's not going to cost you anything extra to return the stuff you have (assuming they refund you) and purchase the proper plug-n-play harness from ae64. It will make your life a lot easier, and save you $150 if you had to get a shop to do it.

@bobkn - if you decide to install a backup camera, you can use the reverse lights in the rear taillight to power the camera.

#21 ·
@bobkn - if you decide to install a backup camera, you can use the reverse lights in the rear taillight to power the camera.

I referred to the reverse control signal that the head unit needs to turn the backup camera display on.

Getting the power from the rear license plate light circuitry sound like a good idea, but it's a separate issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.