2013 Subaru WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2013 Subaru WRX within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by brennermoore Yes i have the dash kit, i have the ASWC. I also have a seperate wiring ...

Quote Originally Posted by brennermoore View Post
    Yes i have the dash kit, i have the ASWC. I also have a seperate wiring harness for the stereo. I know how to install an aftermarket stereo. i was worried about installing the swc adapter because i have never done this before.

i have all the parts necessary just dont know if i want to jump in and try to do it with really no electrical background.
    If you don't have the harness from SVXdc (David Carter), you'll need to tap into the WRX's wiring to connect the ASWC. I wanted plug & play, so I bought one of his.

Alternately, he supplies the pinouts so that you could add pins to the 20 pin Nissan connector that you have. If you're like me and don't have ready access to the right sort of pins, you could buy another connector and scavenge them.

I admit that I haven't done my install yet. I just got the last piece (parking brake bypass) on Monday, and I haven't had time to solder the harnesses together yet. I hope that I don't injure my back trying to run the BT mike and GPS antenna. ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So that we don't confuse brennermoore, SVXdc i.e David Carter, runs ae64.com

Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    I hope that I don't injure my back trying to run the BT mike and GPS antenna. ;-)
    I installed the BT mic to the factory location, seems to work pretty well from there.

Last question, i have read about a lot of people "splicing" into there wires.. Why is that so bad to do?

Quote Originally Posted by brennermoore View Post
    Last question, i have read about a lot of people "splicing" into there wires.. Why is that so bad to do?
    I'm not sure it's especially bad. I expect that professional installers do it all the time.

For my own installation, I wanted to do all of the wire-to-wire connections outside the car. I'd just plug the harness into the radio and the Subaru connector (that plugs into the OEM radio).

If I ever wish to wire a backup camera, I'll have to find a reverse wire anyway. That's not included in any of the Subaru connectors for a WRX with the OEM radio that lacks navigation.

Its not bad if you have no other choice... for a brand new car, why would you splice into the stock wiring if you dont need to? There's not a whole lot of play in the stock harness, so you'd be working in a very tight location. Also, if you ever wanted to sell the car, or put the stock head unit back in for whatever reason.. you'd have to reverse the splice job to complete install. It's not going to cost you anything extra to return the stuff you have (assuming they refund you) and purchase the proper plug-n-play harness from ae64. It will make your life a lot easier, and save you $150 if you had to get a shop to do it.

@bobkn - if you decide to install a backup camera, you can use the reverse lights in the rear taillight to power the camera.

@bobkn - if you decide to install a backup camera, you can use the reverse lights in the rear taillight to power the camera.

I referred to the reverse control signal that the head unit needs to turn the backup camera display on.

Getting the power from the rear license plate light circuitry sound like a good idea, but it's a separate issue.

Alright thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    I admit that I haven't done my install yet. I just got the last piece (parking brake bypass) on Monday, and I haven't had time to solder the harnesses together yet. I hope that I don't injure my back trying to run the BT mike and GPS antenna. ;-)
    Installed the new head unit this weekend. I don't do a lit of soldering, so it took me a while, but the assembled harness was pretty much plug & play.

The ASWC didn't ID the new head unit (Clarion NX702) correctly, so I had to set in manually. (Device ID 3.) You may want to keep the ASWC visible (LED) until everything is set up properly.

The GPS antenna is mounted on top of the dash. (A few inches of wire are showing, but that's tolerable.) The external mike is on the steering column cover. (I looked at the OEM mike location, but didn't feel up to improvising a mounting scheme for the aftermarket mike. That, in addition to running the wire under the headliner and down the A pillar.)

I recommend David Carter's harness. I was able to assemble it with the head unit's plug without error.

The $20 parking brake bypass also works well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12