Best Gauges circa 2013
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Best Gauges circa 2013 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Good Day All -- I've reviewed Rogan's FAQ on gauges, and would like opinions on todays tastes, pros, cons, etc. ...

Best Gauges circa 2013

Good Day All -- I've reviewed Rogan's FAQ on gauges, and would like opinions on todays tastes, pros, cons, etc. I'm interested in a boost gauge for sure, and I like oil pressure gauges as well. I'm leaning towards mechanical, but a old dog ... lol.. can learn new tricks. I'm new to turbos, so advice on accurate boost gauges would be great. Also should I be considering a EGT gauge if I'm not do rally at this point. Thanks in advance for any comments.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The gauge options haven't really changed in 2013 compared to 2002, so all the gauge threads on here are just a relevant as they always were. Defi is still regarded at the best quality at a premium price. AEM makes quality gauges at a lower price point, but usually have less features.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The gauge options haven't really changed in 2013 compared to 2002, so all the gauge threads on here are just a relevant as they always were. Defi is still regarded at the best quality at a premium price. AEM makes quality gauges at a lower price point, but usually have less features.
    Thanks much. I will continue to peruse the site. And glean what I can.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Thanks much. I will continue to peruse the site. And glean what I can.
    Sure.

Let me clarify one thing. While the favored gauge brands haven't changed much over the years, there are lots of new options for mounting the gauges. If you're just getting two gauges, I'd highly recommend the SMYCluster. It has OEM fit and finish, and looks great installed:

SMY Dual Gauge Pod 2008-2013 WRX & STI - Interior - 2008-2013 WRX
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the Defi Racer series gauges. They're a bit more expensive than some other options, but I like the way they look, are reliable, and are accurate. I hate Prosport, and don't recommend them to anyone.

As for which gauges...

Boost: You have a turbo car; if you have one gauge, this is the one to have.
    WBO2: Useful for knowing accurate AFRs, where the factory sensor is useless at anything above moderate throttle
    EGT: I find it useful in self-tuning, but the end-user may not.
    Oil Pressure: Most oil pressure issues are sudden, and the gauge (along with the idiot light on the dash) tells you it's time for a new motor
    Oil Temp: I like having an OT gauge, as it tells me when it's safe to start enjoying the car. You want to wait until oil is up to operating temp for maximum lubrication. Without an oil temp gauge, a general rule to follow is that by the time your OE water temp gauge is up to operating temp, double the time, and oil is there.
    Water Temp: Useful if you're tracking the car, or if you need another gauge to fill space. I wouldn't bother on a street vehicle
    Voltage: Useful if you've got extensive electrical draws (e.g., big audio setup). Otherwise, meh.
    Fuel Pressure: For the most part, it will stay at a flat value. I wouldn't bother with this unless you get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and start adjusting.

My personal recommendations...
    One gauge: Boost
    Two gauges: Boost / WBO2
    Three gauges: Boost / WBO2 / EGT or OT
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Sure.

Let me clarify one thing. While the favored gauge brands haven't changed much over the years, there are lots of new options for mounting the gauges. If you're just getting two gauges, I'd highly recommend the SMYCluster. It has OEM fit and finish, and looks great installed:

SMY Dual Gauge Pod 2008-2013 WRX & STI - Interior - 2008-2013 WRX
    That is sweet !!!! Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Just thought I would mention too...I agree that defi's are probably the most popular brand, and that is for a reason...They are great quality.

I personally run AEM gauges and find that they are great quality for the price. You can also get boost and AFR in one gauge (failsafe gauge). If I could buy them all over again I would probably get the failsafe gauge from AEM and then EGT (which I will probably get eventually if I end up upgrading to ELH's).

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I like the Defi Racer series gauges. They're a bit more expensive than some other options, but I like the way they look, are reliable, and are accurate. I hate Prosport, and don't recommend them to anyone.

As for which gauges...

Boost: You have a turbo car; if you have one gauge, this is the one to have.
    WBO2: Useful for knowing accurate AFRs, where the factory sensor is useless at anything above moderate throttle
    EGT: I find it useful in self-tuning, but the end-user may not.
    Oil Pressure: Most oil pressure issues are sudden, and the gauge (along with the idiot light on the dash) tells you it's time for a new motor
    Oil Temp: I like having an OT gauge, as it tells me when it's safe to start enjoying the car. You want to wait until oil is up to operating temp for maximum lubrication. Without an oil temp gauge, a general rule to follow is that by the time your OE water temp gauge is up to operating temp, double the time, and oil is there.
    Water Temp: Useful if you're tracking the car, or if you need another gauge to fill space. I wouldn't bother on a street vehicle
    Voltage: Useful if you've got extensive electrical draws (e.g., big audio setup). Otherwise, meh.
    Fuel Pressure: For the most part, it will stay at a flat value. I wouldn't bother with this unless you get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and start adjusting.

My personal recommendations...
    One gauge: Boost
    Two gauges: Boost / WBO2
    Three gauges: Boost / WBO2 / EGT or OT
    Wow. Thanks for educating me... .great info. Love the avatar ... benny hill ... right ????
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

btw ... I was getting a little hung up on the oil pressure gauge, I have a bit of a leak down issue on my 260z so I keep a eye on pressure.... alot
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito
    Love the avatar ... benny hill ... right ????
    Not sure where it's from. I just laughed when I saw it...
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

not thread jacking, just have a question.

anyone have input on a good looking digital voltage gauge?

I was at a BD party yesterday, and mentioned looking at gauges for the REX, and the Cobb Accessport V3 came up as the goto vice gauges. I still like the analog gauges v.s. digital , guess I'm still old school.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Good info ej257 thanks:-)
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.