looking to change out the shift knob
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking to change out the shift knob within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So as the title states i'm looking for a shift knob upgrade, I was looking at the Cobb knob and ...

looking to change out the shift knob

So as the title states i'm looking for a shift knob upgrade, I was looking at the Cobb knob and I like it, it seems to have what appears to be a similar shape to the stock knob at the bottom which I think is meant to hold the stock shift boot in place, correct me if i'm wrong. Anyway if anyone can suggest other brands or options please do I need other options to consider and right now I don't know of many, just got my '13 WRX last week so i'm new to Subaru. Also I wanted to know if anyone has installed a short shifter with the stock bushings and how that turned out, installing the upgraded bushings seems like a lot of work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i installed the Cobb short shift knob and it was a nightmare compared to other mods i have done in the past, the major issue being the reverse lock out cable. be careful with extra slack so as not to have it rub on the drive shaft if you go the Cobb short shifter. Im in Texas and yes its already hot as hell and the knob is nice and relatively cool. I had the black Razo heavy weightknob but it left a bit of the thread showing and it did bug me a bit. you might wanna look into the TWM Abrams line...those are super nice. as far as bushings go i have the Cobb bushings just havnt had a chance to crawl under and remove the heat shields to get access to them.
    good luck with your choice...

I Support ClubWRX
    Since he has a WRX there is no reverse lock out. I have a WC Lathe Werks knob a little on the expensive side but I still love it. I had them put two rings on the lower half and also purple/blue the knob.

The only "problem" is since I purchased the titanium one it is subject to temperature change. The delrin (plastic) stay cool to the touch and a bunch of people have them. I just have a felt bag that I put over the shift knobs on hot and cold days till it warms up not a big deal for me.

Flossy also makes a nice weighted shift knob. When looking for a shfit knob make sure to look for WRX or make sure it has the option for a boot retainer. Some people also want it to be heavy since they say it helps the feel. Personally I know know but I didnt like the fit of the OEM shift knob. I had a Momo shadow in my old car and it was great but the new one is also really comfortable in my hand.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Check out the custom made popular lathewerks shift knobs.

You can of course install a short shifter with the stock rubber bushings. You will enjoy the shorter throw but it will still be squishy.

It isn't all that hard of a job. If you're uncomfortable DIY get someone from your local area forum to help. Or take it to a shop. If you get the SPT bushings,the dealer will install it for you.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 06-17-2013 at 11:00 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I absolutely love my wc lathe werks knob

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

when my leaks, tmic and tuned are all fixed/installed then ill reward myself with shifter bushings, KB SS and WC lathe werks knob....that is if im keeping her..
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Check out Anarchy Motive...about a pound and a quarter shift knob. Helps s ton & awesome finish.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Boot Bag Retainer workaround

Had a similar question about the boot retainer/ flange that holds the boot bag onto the base of the shift knob.

I really like the weighted Mishimoto (Weighted Shift Knob - Black, Silver, by Mishimoto) but the knob has no bulge or hump hold the bag up and the gap looks too wide to keep out dust and dirt. Does anyone know of an insert or workaround?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	136017

I feel it matches well

Quote Originally Posted by Docc99 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	136017

I feel it matches well

What kind of knob is that? Looks like it fits perfectly.

And what about the weight?

STI Leather Shift Knob 5MT

It's a factory part. The box came marked with STi. Apparently it's similar to the old 22B knob. It's very light, I'd wager the factory knob is 3 times heavier. I can't tell the difference. I also have the factory short throw just for a reference.

I ended up getting the Razo weighted leather knob for only $33. Since I live in NY State, summers can be pretty hot and winters are freezing, and my last car had a metal knob that I loved (500 grams) but I could almost never hold onto the damn thing because of the temperature changes! So I really wanted leather this time around. The Razo knob is pretty heavy (400 grams) and probably the heaviest leather knob out there. It is PERFECTLY shaped for my hand and the stitching quality is very high. The red stitching matches the WRX interior almost exactly. Installation took about 5 minutes from start to finish. I really like this knob a lot.

The ONLY drawback is that it does not have a boot holder notch on the bottom. But since it sits about 1 inch lower than the stock knob, the boot sort of stands up on its own and bumps up against the knob to cover the gap. It really doesn't shift around, either. I'm satisfied with it for now.

This is the one I got:

RAZO RA68A Palm Grip Shift Knob, 400g : Amazon.com : Automotive

ahh, really cool. The rarity of boot holder notch has been really limiting but with that Razo sitting so low, it looks great, safe from dust, etc.

Wonder if the other Razo's sit as deep? Either way, thanks for the tip, Drew. I'm going to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post
    I ended up getting the Razo weighted leather knob for only $33. Since I live in NY State, summers can be pretty hot and winters are freezing, and my last car had a metal knob that I loved (500 grams) but I could almost never hold onto the damn thing because of the temperature changes! So I really wanted leather this time around. The Razo knob is pretty heavy (400 grams) and probably the heaviest leather knob out there. It is PERFECTLY shaped for my hand and the stitching quality is very high. The red stitching matches the WRX interior almost exactly. Installation took about 5 minutes from start to finish. I really like this knob a lot.

The ONLY drawback is that it does not have a boot holder notch on the bottom. But since it sits about 1 inch lower than the stock knob, the boot sort of stands up on its own and bumps up against the knob to cover the gap. It really doesn't shift around, either. I'm satisfied with it for now.

This is the one I got:

RAZO RA68A Palm Grip Shift Knob, 400g : Amazon.com : Automotive

Quote Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
    ahh, really cool. The rarity of boot holder notch has been really limiting but with that Razo sitting so low, it looks great, safe from dust, etc.

Wonder if the other Razo's sit as deep? Either way, thanks for the tip, Drew. I'm going to check them out.
    I'm not sure about the other Razo knobs. After installing this one and actually feeling it in my hand (rather than just seeing pictures online), I'm 100% happy with my purchase. One thing that might help with the boot would be to find a piece of rubber tubing to slip over the shifter shaft that fits tight into the boot inner diameter. That way, the boot would be "held" in place just slipped over the tubing and butted up against the underside of the knob. It would probably hold pretty well in that position.

Since I've already installed my knob and it's nice and tight, I don't want to remove it just to install this tubing. The knob is installed with a plastic insert that simply cuts its own threads as it is installed onto the threaded shifter shaft. I'm afraid that taking it on and off too many times would cause the threads to loosen up. In reality they probably wouldn't loosen up, but since I don't mind the way the boot fits, I won't bother taking the risk.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.