Cobb AP mounting option, 08+

This is a discussion on Cobb AP mounting option, 08+ within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wanted to share my choice for mounting the Cobb AP in my 11' WRX. After doing a little research ...

Cobb AP mounting option, 08+

Just wanted to share my choice for mounting the Cobb AP in my 11' WRX. After doing a little research I decided not to purchase the Proto Mount for the following reasons:
    1. too many reviews on the vent clip sliding around; and
    2. $30 for a piece of plastic! wow..

I chose to go with the Arkon SM050-2 slim-grip smartphone holder with GN047-SPH (vent mounting clips) - $11.99 with a free shipping coupon I found online.
    GN047+SPH+SM050-2: Vent Mount with Universal Cradle for SmartPhone - Mount for HTC ThunderBolt

Review: The SM050-2 comes with 2 sets of rubberized arms that can accommodate devices from 3.5" up to ~8". The small arms work perfectly for the Cobb AP V2, whereas the larger arms are easily interchangeable if you wanted to mount a cell phone or GPS. The cradle uses ball pivot similar to the Proto Mount that allows 360 degree swivel of the device.

The GN047-SPH vent mount was pretty much useless. I would compare it to the reviews I read on the Proto Mount as it slides around and does not hold firm to any vents on the WRX. I decided to cut of the brackets for the vent clips, and add 3M double sided tape to the swivel base.. it mounted perfectly to the surround above the dash light control.

Here are some pics for anyone interested:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130611_182611.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	114473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130611_182730.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	114472

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That looks really nice. Thanks for the info.

This might be a silly question but do you have to leave the accessport plugged in at all times?

No you dont, and most people would advise against it because it does not turn off when you turn the car off... therefor it will eventually damage the screen on the AP and/or kill the battery if left long enough.

Do you do anything special with the cord so that its not in the way of you left foot?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DaShady View Post
    Do you do anything special with the cord so that its not in the way of you left foot?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
    Tuck it under your steering column

i had a similar setup but to the right of the wheel clipped onto a vent using a gps holder. worked perfectly. I do hate how you have to plug in the AP everytime you want to use it. Ive debated making a switch for my old one but was just too lazy.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by DaShady View Post
    I stole this idea from flex'n'wrx on NASIOC, but I thought it was a great way for WRX owners that don't have self leveling headlights to hide the cable within the dash. I removed the space filler opposite the interior lighting control (normally used for headlight leveling in the STi) and used a dremmel to cut a hole big enough for the AP end of the cable to fit through. Then I used some left over 3M Carbon vinyl to build up the edges a little so that the cable would not pull back through when i wanted to leave it unplugged and hidden... Here are some pics of the result, I think it turned out great and its hardly noticeable from any angle you would see it while sitting in the car:

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]