Boost Gauge Previously Installed???

This is a discussion on Boost Gauge Previously Installed??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Everyone, I am planning on installing a boost gauge on my 2006 WRX soon so I have been watching ...

Boost Gauge Previously Installed???

Hey Everyone,

I am planning on installing a boost gauge on my 2006 WRX soon so I have been watching a lot of videos and reading up on the installation procedures. When I went to take a look at the vacuum line, I noticed it had already been cut and a t-fitting was installed. The hose from the fitting is sealed by some metal plug. I am assuming the previous owner had installed a boost gauge and left some of the equipment instead of buying a new line. My question: Should I leave the plastic fitting or install a brass t-fitting? I have heard some of the plastic ones are pretty crappy. Also, is this the most common/best place to install the t-fitting? Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0484.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	113972
    -Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    As long as the plastic T isn't cracked or anything I would just use what's already there.

Agreed, from the pix it looks like the T is still in a pretty decent shape. However, those things come rather cheap so you can always replace it with your preferred one.

To answer your question tho, this is a strong indication that a boost gauge was previously installed on this car. I don't see any other reason(s) to have this fitting in place.
    When life passes you by, DownShift! - DSC

Thanks for the info! I think I will just swap it out with a brass fitting just to be safe. The plastic one seems brittle.
    -Nick

That "metal plug" looks more like a screw