excessive seat fabric wear?

This is a discussion on excessive seat fabric wear? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2012 WRX Hatch. Base fabric interior. Had car just 1 year now (1 year 2 days to be exact). Only ...

excessive seat fabric wear?

2012 WRX Hatch. Base fabric interior. Had car just 1 year now (1 year 2 days to be exact). Only 4,000 miles on the car (I have a pretty short work commute and when my whole family goes out we often take our minivan so my WRX just doesn't get a ton of use).

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a lot of excessive and premature (in my mind) wear on the side of the driver's seat where the lap belt crosses across the seat. My fabric is already fraying a little bit and looks more gray than black as it is wearing with the belt crossing and rubbing every time I'm in the car. It may not help that I am rather short (5' 8") and so seat position may contribute to where the belt crosses the seat (I was sitting in the car and slid the seat back real far and the lap belt doesn't seem to rub in the same place) but I certainly can't help where I need the seat!

I have a 1999 Toyota Sienna minvan that gets a TON of use and the seat fabric looks perfect everywhere! I also had a 1992 Honda Accord for years and years (car before my WRX) and the fabric in that car was also perfect as well.

I don't put a lot of use on my car and I'm pretty disappointed so far that this area already looks so crappy. I have a claim with SOA and going to have it looked at at my local dealer (per SOA request) so I will see what happens.

But I wanted to know if others have/are experiencing this issue as well...

Also, I wasn't sure where to put this as I am not sure it is really a warranty issue so mods can move if you feel this thread has a better place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My 2012 WRX has about 14,000 miles on it. I'm an Army guy so the crappy velcro on my uniform's cargo pockets (made by the lowest bidder) never stays fastened. This causes excessive wear when the hook portion rubs across my seat near the center console. Drives me nuts!!! But not the cars fault.
    Last edited by WRX-Man; 04-15-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Get a seat cover and cut out the top portions and keep the area that is wearing out. I bought a rug and cut it to fit my back seat (kids). Back seats after 4 years still look new.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Service manager took one look at my seat and said the cover should not be that worn that fast and it will be replaced. Touted that is what the 3 year, 36 month bumper to bumper warranty if for. Parts ordered and have appointment with upholstery shop in a little over a week...also glad the service guys at the dealership aren't going to be the ones doing the work but instead experts who actually do this type of work!