Prosport gauge not working. customer service horrible. never again

This is a discussion on Prosport gauge not working. customer service horrible. never again within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; as the title states. the worst customer service i have ever recieved. my gauge arrived DOA and they basically told ...

Prosport gauge not working. customer service horrible. never again

as the title states. the worst customer service i have ever recieved. my gauge arrived DOA and they basically told me to deal with it.
    a little back story

i ordered a prosport premium 52mm electronic boost gauge for nearly $90. not exactly expensive but not exactly cheap
    it arrived, i installed it. it didnt work. DOA, acted like nothing was plugged up, no flicker, no response, nothing. no biggie. maybe my wiring was off. after checking it nope wiring is all good.
    ground is good.
    constant 12v going to the red wire per the directions. has power all the way to the end of the connector that plugs into the gauge
    acc 12v power going all the way through the orange wire, has solid 12v at the end of the connector just the same
    again ground is good.

well its a gauge so there isnt much else to check for. only three wires that need hooking up to and they are all solid soldered connections, wired into the fuse box with the tap a fuse connectors.(this isnt my first rodeo on electrical installs so im 100% sure i didnt screw it up. even had a friend look it over for problems) all have power like they should. so the only logical conclusion if there is solid 12.5v at the connector in the back of the gauge is that the gauge itself is faulty. no biggie it happens. so i emailed prosport. now is where it gets interesting

i will not divulge any personal names of employees ive dealt with nor any actual correspondence between us as i dont feel thats right without the employees consent. even if he was rude

basically i contacted them asking for a refund. i had heard that there Taiwanese gauges didnt have the best record for reliability anyways so i just wanted a refund no exchange. as soon as i mentioned just wanting the money back and no exchange all of a sudden they said that they needed to "test" it to make sure it was faulty before issuing a refund. this is a little odd to me but not unheard of esp for a small company. they need to pinch every penny. but then they tell me that i have to pay for the shipping back to them. and if the gauge is found "good" in there eyes. and seeing from the many many posts in other forums about this situation getting them to admit their product is no good is about as likely as a vacation to mars. im stuck having to pay yet again to get it shipped back to me! seriously! so if i refuse to pay shipping twice then they have basically stolen my $90 and kept my gauge to boot! i have to pay shipping both ways on a faulty product. that is absolutely ridiculous and i cant believe they are still in business. now this doesnt sound like a big deal the way im typing it but that because i am leaving out all the dirty little details in our emails back and forth, not wanting to be a complete jerk.

all im trying to say is. this company has no idea of what true customer service is, i for one will never ever support their products again and i urge anyone else to just buy a real quality gauge not one of their taiwanese junk gauges. spend the money on something useful with a real company backing it and its warranty. unless you want to end up with a $90 paperweight like i have

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sometimes, you just get what you pay for...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I think $90 is a lot for a boost gauge when you think about what they actually do. Ive had cheaper gauges (autometer) in the past the worked perfectly.

Been hearing a lot of bad things about this company though.

I've had mine for a few months now, will little issue. The only issue I had was right after install, it would cut in and out. So I took a small screw driver and pushed the connector in a little better and no issue. Sorry to hear your luck, seems they always work out this way. They either work pretty good, or not at all.
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19
    I think $90 is a lot for a boost gauge when you think about what they actually do. Ive had cheaper gauges (autometer) in the past the worked perfectly.
    Electrical gauges cost more to produce than a mechanical gauge (and will therefore, demand a higher MSRP). Some people want all their gauges to match. I could've gotten a lesser-expensive mechanical boost gauge, but I wanted a certain look, and had to go electric.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

This.

I used a cheap hooker once, it burned for weeks. Should have spent the extra $20.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Electrical gauges cost more to produce than a mechanical gauge (and will therefore, demand a higher MSRP). Some people want all their gauges to match. I could've gotten a lesser-expensive mechanical boost gauge, but I wanted a certain look, and had to go electric.
    I agree and understand. The Omori I had was about 90 and that worked perfectly too. I'm just saying its not like he went out and bought a noname eBay gauge for $20. I'd expect more for that price. Electrical or not.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think most people know my history with Prosport.. I would not recommend them to anyone.