Kartboy Short-Throw Shifter

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short-Throw Shifter within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After reading a few posts about short throw shifters and how to go about it... I decided again to let ...

I Support ClubWRX

Kartboy Short-Throw Shifter

After reading a few posts about short throw shifters and how to go about it...

I decided again to let my local tuning shop tackle this for me too. I am pretty stupid with tools and while I watched plenty of DIY videos on youtube, my local garage was able to swap out my shifter for me in less than an hour. Sure..It costs me an extra $80..but they do a fine job and my car always comes back to me as if it were untouched.

Anyways...for those who care to know about my experience...I went with the Kartboy Short-Throw shift with the bushings kit.

When my all the panels were removed...it was discovered that an AVO adjustable shift kit was already installed. LOL!!! I did buy the car used about 4 months ago. So...to anyone even considering an AVO shifter for an 09 WRX...DO NOT BUY! It is crap. I guess stock must be just even more trashy given the AVO shifter felt like long throws through mud. My gear shifts were never precise...always a mushy feeling and well...even downshifting caused me to miss gears entirely.

I am pleased to report the Kartboy shifter with bushings has made an immense difference. Sure...it doesn't add power or performance...but it makes the drive much better. Gear shifts...up or down...under power...or not...are precise...have a solid feel and way shorter throw. I am in love with it. I know there are other makes out there...COBB...TWM...etc...but Kartboy is pretty dam good. I already had the MOMO Subaru shift knob...so kept that on.

Anyone with an 09 WRX manual considering Kartboy product...rest assured...you will be happy. STAY AWAY from AVO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What is included in the kit if I may ask.

I have the the Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings. But have not installed then yet. Looking forward to it. I've only heard good things about this STS and bushings.
    Subaru WRX 2011 Spark Silver Metallic

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe the kit came with three individual packages.

I didn't do the install myself...but I have the original packaging.

One was for the "shifter leg", another was labelled "shifter bushings" and a third package was labelled "rear shifter bushing".

I just figured if I am going to install the shifter may as well change the bushings too. I absolutely LOVE this shifter now. Its short, precise, and feels solid downshifting or upshifting.

you have heard good things because it is good...IMHO. If you are using stock right now...CHANGE IT! You will not regret it. I did notice a slight change in height of my shifter...but cant really tell.