Hi, this has been bugging me for a while and would like someone to help me

This is a discussion on Hi, this has been bugging me for a while and would like someone to help me within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a 2011 subaru wrx about two years ago. My first mod was a factory SPT short throw shifter ...

Hi, this has been bugging me for a while and would like someone to help me

I bought a 2011 subaru wrx about two years ago. My first mod was a factory SPT short throw shifter with bushings installed during my first oil change. Later on, I have bought a kartboy short shifter with bushings and had it installed with the SPT short throw shifter already installed in it. My question is, is it alright to leave it like that? or should I replace back the SPT short throw shifter with the stock version and keep the kartboy short shfiter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Keep the one you like more.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Keep the one you like more.
    is there really a noticable difference in terms of stiffness, reduced throw and stuff in using the stock shifter with kartboy than using the SPT short throw with the kartboy as well?

I'm sorry, now I am honestly confused.
    What do you mean by "stock shifter with kartboy"? Which part is the stock part and Kartboy part?
    Same goes for: "than using the SPT short throw with the kartboy"

To go from a stock shifter to lets say Kartboy shifter you would have to remove the stockshifter assembly before you can install the Kartboy unit.

You said you had all 3 units there should have been a reduction of throw as you upgraded man.

The SPT short throw replaces the shift lever as well as the linkage. It is the best short throw, IMO.
    If you can use the SPT lower and Kartboy lever, why not keep it that way?

What do you mean by "stock shifter with kartboy"? Which part is the stock part and Kartboy part?

To go from a stock shifter to lets say Kartboy shifter you would have to remove the stockshifter assembly before you can install the Kartboy unit.

You said you had all 3 units there should have been a reduction of throw as you upgraded man.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3
    The SPT short throw replaces the shift lever as well as the linkage. It is the best short throw, IMO.
    I disagree. For what you pay, I feel it leaves a lot to be desired in what you get. I'd take an aftermarket lever with all four bushings and $100+ in my pocket every time.

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3
    If you can use the SPT lower and Kartboy lever, why not keep it that way?
    SPT plus lever and bushings is ideal, but $$
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I disagree. For what you pay, I feel it leaves a lot to be desired in what you get. I'd take an aftermarket lever with all four bushings and $100+ in my pocket every time.
    Agreed. I'm not saying it isn't a good piece, but a Kartboy SS will give you equal feel/quality for less $$ spent.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

sorry for the confusion but just to clarify, i bought the entire spt system like this one and got it installed at the dealer. Later I have bought the kartboy short shifter and had it installed with the spt system STS. My question was regarding whether there would be a noticable difference in throw and shifting if i had them switch back the original stock shift lever and linkage.

The SPT linkage replacement reduces shifts by 10-15% from what I've read over the years.

The Kartboy lever reduces shifts by about 30% from what I've read over the years.

If you have both uninstalled (since you said you have both currently installed), expect to notice your shifts to get about 40% longer and taller. I'd say you will notice this.

So why the hell would you want to remove the increased performance value of these items?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna View Post
    sorry for the confusion but just to clarify, i bought the entire spt system like this one and got it installed at the dealer. Later I have bought the kartboy short shifter and had it installed with the spt system STS. My question was regarding whether there would be a noticable difference in throw and shifting if i had them switch back the original stock shift lever and linkage.
    The kartboy reduces 40% on top of 10% already from the SPT. Going back to stock (aftermarket lever/bushings) won't be that much difference over SPT (aftermarket lever/bushings)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

so it is kind of like a synergy system so to speak? so my shift throw would be reduced by almost 55% because of both the kartboy and spt?