2005 WRX Instrument Panel/Gauge bulbs - stock

This is a discussion on 2005 WRX Instrument Panel/Gauge bulbs - stock within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi folks. I have been searching the Internet for (2) evenings now, looking for stock bulbs for the speedo/tach gauge ...

2005 WRX Instrument Panel/Gauge bulbs - stock

Hi folks. I have been searching the Internet for (2) evenings now, looking for stock bulbs for the speedo/tach gauge cluster that I pulled out of my WRX. I am not looking to make any modifications, just replace the stock bulbs, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum - please just point in the direction of the correct forum.

I found one forum that said the #74 and #158 are the stock replacement bulbs, but after stopping at three different parts stores this evening, the #74 (smaller) looks okay, but the #158 (larger) isn't even close to the right physical size of the original bulb. There are currently (2) of the larger bulbs that are not working, yet when I pull all of the larger bulbs, they all appear to have this mercury opaque glazing at the top end of the bulb, just like the burnt out bulbs, other than that I can't tell any different between the good bulbs and bad bulbs. I've also found posts that indicate that a #194 bulb can be substituted for the #158, but even the #194's are significantly larger in size than the original bulbs.

So the question(s) is this;

1) When I go to the parts store to simply replace these bulbs to return the vehicle to its factory illumination levels and color, what bulbs am I looking for?

or,

2) Is there an alternative LED for the two different size bulbs that I can replace with that will still give me adequate (same as stock or brighter) illumination without looking like they don't belong as stock?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it helps, when I called the dealership tonight, who wants about 10 bucks per bulb, and doesn't stock any of them, they claim there are (4) different bulb part numbers associated with this gauge cluster;

85066ga110
    85066ga390
    85068sa000
    85068fe040

Just as a follow-up for anyone looking for bulbs, I was finally able to find the correct bulbs direct from JKL Components Corporation. I had to buy in a lot of 20, at $1.25 per bulb, JKL part number EWG103 (incandescent), these are the larger of the bulb types in the speedo cluster. With shipping it came to about $33. I changed out all the bulbs this size (3 or 4 as I recall) and have plenty left over. I spoke to Jose Cruz at JKL (818) 896-0019 and he was able to place the order over the phone. Once again, these are the larger bulb style that illuminate the speedo, the tach, and the associated red needles. The JKL website seems to claim there is a newer style, but upon making the phone call, and receiving the order, I did get the EWG103 bulbs.

Here are a few things I learned through this process:

1) Bright-white LED's, no matter how many or the intensity, provide a color that has a (severe) blu-ish tint, and did not project in a manner that illuminates the gauge needles. I tried numerous different styles of white LED's, with up to 5 LED's per, but none of the provided the side firing needed to light up the needles.
    2) The LED's that I tried had a slightly "fatter" base on them that spread the contacts inside the bulb fixture (in a bad way), so I had to fool with the bulb base (space it back outward) when re-seating the correct incandescent bulbs, so the correct bulbs didn't just fall out.
    3) The original bulbs had the chrome glaze over the inside of the glass that forms as they age and eventually burn out. Most of my bulbs weren't burned out, but they all had that nasty haze and were losing their brightness making it very hard to see the dash lights on a rainy day with the headlights on.
    4) The new incandescent bulbs from JKL lamps are much brighter and I was surprised at how bad the old bulbs had gotten over time, the cluster looks great and is easy to read again. The JKL lamps light up the gauge needles extremely well, and provide the correct "green" color of the 2005 WRX instrument panel(s).
    5) In the end, the JKL lamps were the right choice to get the cluster back to a factory look (or maybe even better) and provided the correct level of brightness to make the cluster easy to read, even on a rainy day. With the dealership wanting $10 per bulb, I thought the JKL product was a good option as I received 20 of them for the same price as 3 from the dealership.

Keywords for Google:
    2005 Subaru WRX (not STI)
    Green
    bulb
    instrument
    cluster
    gauges
    light
    EWG103
    JKL lamps

Spec sheet for JKL EWG103 is attached.
    Attached Files

I am looking for the same bulbs for my Forester. I tried some superbright LEDs but the color is off and the fit is not quite right (the bulbs randomly turn on/off ). As your post is recent, I assume you just bought the bulbs. I plan to do the same but wondered if you want to sell some of your extra bulbs. I need about 8 bulbs (my Forester is a 2001 and just about every Dash bulb has burned out). I'll check back on this post and will attempt to send an e-mail if your info is available.

In any event, thanks for posting the contact info so we can buy new bulbs.

Scott aka Lark888

Hello Kryp,
    I joined this site to ask you if you are willing to sell 6 of them to me. PDF looks right, but I want to make sure. Do they look like this pic below?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EWG103.JPG  

Hey, folks, if you're looking for these bulbs, I would urge you to just contact JKL and purchase from them - by the time I get you a few bulbs packed up and shipped out it's going to be nearly as much as it costs to just buy them direct from JKL. If they are out of the bulb I mentioned, I'd ask them if they have an equivalent replacement.

Take care,

KN