110v Interior Outlet

This is a discussion on 110v Interior Outlet within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I came across the factory kit to do a 110v outlet in the back of the center console. It looked ...

110v Interior Outlet

I came across the factory kit to do a 110v outlet in the back of the center console.

It looked pretty enticing at first until I realized it was 100w max, two prong only, and almost $200 to install. So now I am trying to come up with alternatives.
    I start looking around and remember that I pulled one out of my truck before I sold it.. It was semi-installed in to that vehicle.

I think "It'd be awesome to have a 3 prong, a usb, and an extra 12v at the back of my console!!". Tore the thing open and found bad news. It won't activate with the power button on topped being pushed every time ( I could overcome that ) and the USB is mounted to an internal circuit board

So now I am looking for advice on what to do, I'd like to have a permanently installed 110v 3prong recep with at least 150w because my laptop draws more than 100w. I've seen usb/duplex receps at work, but I think they're just too large and tacky to put in a car.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I use a 120watt compact power inverter I got from RadioShack for $19. Have you actually tested your laptop? 100w is awfully inefficient for a laptop. I have a Kill-a-Watt device I use to measure electrical draw and my laptop never pulled more than 32watts under full load. At idle it was something like 12watts.

Er the laptop I use for datalogging and such has a damaged motherboard so yeah it draws wayyy to much juice. One of the micro resistors is cracked near the power plug. There's no reason you couldn't draw 3 amps out of an inverter so maybe its just the pursuit of power.

The higher the amperage the more robust the components need to be, more costly, need for more heat dissipation, and larger. If you want a decent amount of power then I wouldn't worry about bulk. There are plenty of places in a car you could hide a bulky inverter. All you need to do is run wire to and from it. It would be a relatively simple DIY to make a clean install with an outlet practically anywhere you want.

Mine is hard wired in between the console and driver's seat. All I ever really use it for is laptop and camera battery charging, and I have used it to power a printer/scanner/copier when working out in the boonies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bear in mind those inverters typically require cooling. I had one in particular that could get ridiculously hot, even at modest power draws. Stuffing one into a cubby without some provision for airflow might not be the best idea.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Bear in mind those inverters typically require cooling. I had one in particular that could get ridiculously hot, even at modest power draws. Stuffing one into a cubby without some provision for airflow might not be the best idea.

Right. My compact inverter has a built in fan. A larger one you would want to mount like you would an amp. In the trunk would be fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have this one and it's cheap and works great. It was a life saver during hurricane sandy. It runs my reciprocating saw with no problems.
    12V Power Inverter - 1500 Watts Max
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Last inverter I plugged into my car...fried my power outlet (yes I checked all fuses...). Made me want to punch a kitten. And now that my phone battery dies left and right and I can't use my car charger...want to punch more kittens.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying