SPT boost gauge and dealer incompetence

This is a discussion on SPT boost gauge and dealer incompetence within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When i bought my car, i had the dealer install the SPT boost gauge, and it was mounted with the ...

SPT boost gauge and dealer incompetence

When i bought my car, i had the dealer install the SPT boost gauge, and it was mounted with the word BOOST pretty much parallel to the cluster hood, making it appear crooked. When i had the service done on my car, i asked them to make it level. They fixed it, and the tech explained to me that that's how the instructions say to mount it blah blah blah..
    So of course i looked up the install instructions to see where it says to mount gauge crooked, couldn't find it. But what i did find its that there is supposed to be an 1/8" barbed 90 coming out of the back. Instead the tubing is bent and nicely kinked!
    fixing the crookedness is something i could have done myself, and while cutting in a barbed 90 may be on the more technical side of modification, i think i can handle it.
    However i do feel that they were paid to install it CORRECTLY, i feel as if i shouldn't have to touch it.
    But since its to much of a hassle to get to the dealer, I'll be fixing it myself :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: SPT boost gauge and dealer incompetence

Forgot the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1359583417978.jpg  

I've noticed since buying my Subaru that I'm better off avoiding the dealership and doing the work myself. I owned mustang before my wrx and while I wouldn't call myself a fan of ford, for some reason I felt like the ford dealership was doing better quality work.. So far the Subaru dealership has denied all of my requests to have pretty much anything fixed under warranty and they're reasoning is I'm not competant enough to drive my own vehicle and I'm damaging my car.

^ ^
    this

is basically true of any and every dealer. if its not warranty work thats covered for free, then i do it myself, instead of having some 19 year old incompetent kid with a 4 week auto tech certificate "attempt" to fix the car. dealers are usually more of a hassle than there worth imo

holy crap! either

a. find another dealer

b. fix it yourself

also, i highly suggest you dump that SPT gauge and get the SMY Gauge Pod and acouple of Defi or AEM boost and oil pressure gauges. -just my opinion on that though.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Re: SPT boost gauge and dealer incompetence

Yeah, I'm going to do it myself, it will cost me more in gas to get to the dealership than the $2 fitting. And i can complain about their service but its just a waste of breath.
    i think I'm going to use the dealer my wife bought her outback from. We haven't had any problems with them so far. Actually were quite pleased with them.. She had it in because the hood switch for the remote start was faulty, and they threw in a detailing for the inconvenience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Why dump the SPT gauge? Are there any others out there that match stock? I don't want my interior to look like a little Havana Christmas tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXchet View Post
    holy crap! either

a. find another dealer

b. fix it yourself

also, i highly suggest you dump that SPT gauge and get the SMY Gauge Pod and acouple of Defi or AEM boost and oil pressure gauges. -just my opinion on that though.
    - 2013 Silver WRX Stage 2 Hatch - SPT and Cobb upgrades, Thule Snowboard racks
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
    - 1988 ASC McLaren Mustang

Dealerships and incompetence are usually words that go hand in hand.

ive learned just to completely avoid them. They are so by the book that anything thats not stock (and even most stock problems) are beyond their ability
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BombAtomic View Post
    Why dump the SPT gauge? Are there any others out there that match stock? I don't want my interior to look like a little Havana Christmas tree.
    Most gauges have white and black face plate options, silver and black bezel options, and multiple illumination color options (including red), so yes. There are a lot of gauges that match the stock cluster very well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud556 View Post
    Dealerships and incompetence are usually words that go hand in hand.

ive learned just to completely avoid them. They are so by the book that anything thats not stock (and even most stock problems) are beyond their ability
    That's highly dependent on the dealer. I use one of the largest Subaru dealers in the PNW, and they've always taken fantastic care of the car, mods and all. Never had a single issue with their work, and they've been very reasonable as far as cost goes. A new OEM clutch and flywheel was $600 installed, for example.

But back on topic, what exactly am I looking at in the pic? I'm not as familiar with the 3G cars.

EDIT: Oh, ok, the pic is the back of the gauge pod as it enters the steering column, correct?
    Last edited by Rambo; 02-22-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by BombAtomic View Post
    i'm running DeFi gauges in a SMY gauge pod. it matches the OEM pretty good, except that the needles aren't white on them.

2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

EDIT: Oh, ok, the pic is the back of the gauge pod as it enters the steering column, correct?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    That's highly dependent on the dealer. I use one of the largest Subaru dealers in the PNW, and they've always taken fantastic care of the car, mods and all. Never had a single issue with their work, and they've been very reasonable as far as cost goes. A new OEM clutch and flywheel was $600 installed, for example.

But back on topic, what exactly am I looking at in the pic? I'm not as familiar with the 3G cars.

True. Some dealers are great. but not all of them.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp