STi cluster swap

This is a discussion on STi cluster swap within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 wrx and I got an 05 sti cluster. All the plugs worked except the one behind ...

STi cluster swap

I have an 02 wrx and I got an 05 sti cluster. All the plugs worked except the one behind the gas and temp gauge. I'm assuming its because the sti cluster had a different plug for the ext. temp. But has anyone else had this issue, and if so how did you make it work. Everything lights up and works but the gas and temp gauge now. Also it won't stop ringing a high tone, maybe because my temp and gas gauge aren't plugged in? Let me know guys, anything helps, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Basically, do I have to get a plug off of an sti and splice it on to get my gas and temp to work? Or should I have gotten an 04? Do those fit to the 02? I don't know, and I thought up to 07 would fit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUST_14 View Post
    Basically, do I have to get a plug off of an sti and splice it on to get my gas and temp to work? Or should I have gotten an 04? Do those fit to the 02? I don't know, and I thought up to 07 would fit
    First of all, STOP!!! You've probably blown your radio circuit already, but in the off-chance you haven't, don't proceed until you've read the instructions. You'll probably need new fuses, though.

You can get an 05 cluster to work in an '02, but it's certainly not as easy as swapping an '04 STI cluster. I swapped an '04 cluster in, and you just have to clip one wire to prevent shorting out the radio circuit, but the rest is plug and play. Your best bet is to sell the '05 cluster and find an '04 cluster, then everything is very easy, the shift buzzer/light works great, etc.

For an 05 cluster into a bugeye, see this thread. You have some mod work ahead, and even then your ABS light is now reverse logic, that is, the warning light will be ON all the time, and if it fails, your the light will turn OFF. The shift buzzer will never work properly, but the light will.

05 STi cluster into any Pre-05 WRX
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 on the '04 cluster. I researched for a while to find out the easiest swap, and it worked out great.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I tried finding an 04 STi cluster for my 04 WRX. Ended up with an 05 cluster because it was free and matched my mileage within 200 miles. The ebrake light is always on and abs is always on. I don't use the buzzer anyway so I guess that didn't matter. Still searching for an 04 but this works in the meantime. I don't need an inspection sticker any time soon.