boost gauge reading?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on boost gauge reading? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Finally my back ordered SPT boost gauge has arrived and its being installed today. Other than the SPT cat back ...

boost gauge reading?

Finally my back ordered SPT boost gauge has arrived and its being installed today. Other than the SPT cat back that has been installed, I'm stock and on stock maps (for now). What should my gauge read as "normal". I've never had a boost gauge and never had experience with them before.

What shod it be at idle?

At WOT?

And during normal driving?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    What shod it be at idle?
    - In vacuum. This depends on the gauge. I believe mine reads positive pressure in psi, and negative in inHg. I believe it sits around -20. Regardless, should be under zero.

At WOT?
    - Whatever your target boost is. This will depend on RPM & Load, and more so your specific car. Stock 08+ I'd expect 14-16psi. I'd be concerned that you have a leak if its under 14 psi at peak torque (3-4k RPM WOT)

- Somewhere between idle and zero normally. It tends to "center weight" at zero on my gauge due to the change in labels (psi from inHG)
    Thanks!
    =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thanks Heide! I have the SPT boost gauge. I'll take a look at the numbers and if they aren't close to those I'll report back

My best MPG comes if i stay under -10 PSI.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Finally my back ordered SPT boost gauge has arrived and its being installed today. Other than the SPT cat back that has been installed, I'm stock and on stock maps (for now). What should my gauge read as "normal". I've never had a boost gauge and never had experience with them before.

What shod it be at idle?

At WOT?

Thanks!
    At idle and normal cruising, you'll be reading vacuum (I usually read about -10-15mmHg, but YMMV). At full throttle in 3rd gear, Cobb Tuning reported peak boost of 15psi on the stock tune, and it quickly tapers off after that. See the Boost and Air/Fuel Ratio Graph in their map notes here [PDF]: https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_09-13.pdf

So you could expect to see a quick spike around 15psi when you hammer down, then the boost will drop off after that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    My best MPG comes if i stay under -10 PSI.
    It's probably not psi, FWIW. I think idle is around -10psi if you are speaking in relative terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

My boost gauge at idle was reading as you stated around -18 or the 18 inHg. Now at idle its -2inHg. Why would this be?
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

It shows proper psi at WOT 14ish but every other moment idle or driving normal is 2 inHg.

Anyone have a clue as to why it has started reading this way?! 3rd and 5th gear the turbo psi registers up to14psi and lliterally every other time other than a slight move of the needle, its at 2 inHg
    Last edited by rurso01; 12-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    It shows proper psi at WOT 14ish but every other moment idle or driving normal is 2 inHg.

Anyone have a clue as to why it has started reading this way?! 3rd and 5th gear the turbo psi registers up to14psi and lliterally every other time other than a slight move of the needle, its at 2 inHg
    Could be a vacuum leak. What is AF Correction @ idle?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Would I need an AP to know that? I'm not sure how to obtain that info. I did listen under the hood asmy girlfriend lightly hit the gas and no leaks that I could hear. It was working fine the first 2 days and already on the 3rd day its acting up...
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Would I need an AP to know that? I'm not sure how to obtain that info. I did listen under the hood asmy girlfriend lightly hit the gas and no leaks that I could hear. It was working fine the first 2 days and already on the 3rd day its acting up...
    D'oh! For some reason I thought your car was StageI (too many open windows confused me). You would need some form of datalogging. Where about do you live?

UNYSOC

Maryland, Washington County to be exact. Any where near you? Other than a leak, could it be anything else? I guess it might be worthy to take it back to Subaru since they installed it for me. Everytime I take a car into a dealership I always leave with scratches on the interior or paint so I dread taking it back again.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Maryland, Washington County to be exact. Any where near you? Other than a leak, could it be anything else? I guess it might be worthy to take it back to Subaru since they installed it for me. Everytime I take a car into a dealership I always leave with scratches on the interior or paint so I dread taking it back again.
    That's near Baltimore/DC, right?

UNYSOC

Yeah I'm constantly in Gaithersburg. Probably once a week. You from the area?
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    D'oh! For some reason I thought your car was StageI (too many open windows confused me). You would need some form of datalogging. Where about do you live?
    Considering he has a 2013, I'd let the dealer handle it IMO. It could be a bad gauge. Datalogging would prove that, yes, but the car is brand new...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.