Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 wrx kartboy short shifter install, but scared to try the bushings. :-(

16K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  LungsLikePhelps 
#1 ·
Just bought the kartboy short shifter for my 13 wrx. I have no worries on the that part of the install, but i'm scared to death to attempt the bushings. So scared in fact, I didnt even buy them.......

#2 ·
Scared? Of what? Unless you are claustrophobic there really is nothing to be scared about.(install is from under the car). If you know how to manipulate a wrench & tighten a bolt with your hand,it can be installed.

#4 ·
If you have access to a lift it is actually quite simple. Otherwise raise the car & take off of or move the heat shield out of the way(4 bolts)

The rear bushings involve removing 2 bolts & installing the new bushing. The only issue you may run into is that it is tough to thread the new bolts.

For the front,its as simple as taking off one bolt,taking the stock bushing off & installing the new bushing.

Where are you located? Maybe someone from your local forum would be willing to help you with the install for some compensation.

#9 ·
I'd prefer a set of ramps if you are thin enough to get under the front of the car with just the front raised. For me, I drive the car up a set of ramps,jack up the rear & lower the rear on jack stands.

But please do not think about jacking the rear & sliding under the car. A set of jack stands can be bought for as less as $15.99 from Harbor Freight.

#10 ·
Ok, Thanks for the advice fellas! Dont know if I would have survived any of my mod installs if it wasnt for these forums. So far I did rally armour flaps ( very scary to pop the ground effects out of place on a brand new car!), Footwell illumination kit, and the nameless axleback muffler delete.

#16 ·
That's the best way to describe it. Sometimes I have to really shove it in different gears. Compared to my old 2010 wrx which had a spt shifting kit its terrible. The wrx was soo smooth it felt like shifting in pudding lol.

#17 ·
Hahaha! True, the factory shifting kit is notchy and vague at best, mine has gotten rougher (similar to yours) since I bought it but that's because I'm due for a transmission fluid change. Old oil has been known to cause even rougher shifter feel. Your last gear oil change?

Posted from a fone.

#24 ·
can you unscrew 7 bolts and put them back in? If so, you can do the basic shifter bushings (the front and rear....the linkage bushings are a bit more involved). They are uber simple to do, and well worth doing.

#26 ·
Oh....PITA level....scale of 1-10, about a 3.

4 of those bolts will be holding on your heat shield above your exhaust. Those are super easy to get to with a ratchet. Remove them, drop heat shield about 1/2" and slide left or right to get out of the way.

2 bolts at rear of the linkage, into the car chassis. Again, easy to get to with a ratchet or box-end wrench. Remove those, drop rear of shift linkage, slide off bushing, slide new one on, put bolts back in. These will be the hardest as some people have noted they are hard to get the new bolts to start threading in.

1 bolt (ok, really a nut, but who is counting) holding the front bushing in. This is the hardest to get to, but is stil easy to reach with a ratchet or box-end wrench. Once nut is off, disconnect two pieces of linkage and use the bolt end to push the soft rubber bushing out of the other end. The urethane bushings are in 2 halves, so they are easy to install in the front, then reinsert the bolt end and put the nut back on.

reinstall the heat shield. Done.

#28 ·
I actually sold them after running them or a few weeks. I would not recommend them because they are obnoxiously loud and will get on your nerves real fast. They were even making everything in my interior rattle really bad.
I now run the invidia q300 catback which is perfect for me.

#31 ·
dont bother... a guy with an 09 STI lives in the building next to me and he got the Nameless muffler delete. I'll just say, he didn't get any cooler. It is the loudest, most annoying sound Ive ever heard. I am 24 years old and ride loud sport bikes and whenever that guy comes home I literally roll my eyes. I cant imagine what other people think... Completely ruins a car. I was thinking about getting the same thing for my '11 WRX until I realized thats what he had. Now I am trying to decide if I want the 4" or the 5" muffler replacement. I havn't heard those so I dont know how much of a difference it will be from the delete but Im scared nonetheless. Lemme know what you go with!

#32 ·
If you have not heard the Nameless with the MangaFlow you should find one of those as well before buying....that is what I have, and I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.