Aftermarket bluetooth options?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Aftermarket bluetooth options? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I'm trying to find a good bluetooth unit for my wife's Honda. The problem is that bluetooth was available ...

I Support ClubWRX

Ok, I'm trying to find a good bluetooth unit for my wife's Honda. The problem is that bluetooth was available from the factory, but only with the really crappy nav unit. I'm trying to find a nice clean way to add bluetooth to her factory stereo.

The facts:
    • I will not replace the factory HU
    • The factory HU has both USB and AUX in
    • The USB port seems to work with any flash drive or ipod/iphone we throw at it, and has full control over the USB-attached device (can navigate iphone playlists, albums, etc).

Here's my ideal solution: A small bluetooth dongle like those you can get for computers. It autoconnects when the car is started (powered off the USB port), displays the contact/call info on the dash, and lets me use the factory steering wheel buttons to hang up/dial. I know I can't just plug into a generic bluetooth dongle and expect it to work, but you'd think there would be something out there like this.

I have found lots of cheap-looking bluetooth dongles that are powered off the cigarette jack and have an AUX plug. That would technically work, but isn't very elegant, and means whatever audio we're listening to prior to the call MUST come from the phone. Also, the USB port is in the glovebox, so it would be much easier to hide a small box or dongle out of sight there, as opposed to plugging into the AUX jack, which is right on the front of the dash.

Any ideas/options? Thanks!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Update: This gets pretty close to what I'm looking for, but isn't compatible with my wife's car.

Honda Acura 03-11 Auxiliary AUX-IN and Bluetooth Interface Adapter

Any other ideas?
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX

Well, I'm about to just give up and get her a new headset...which she'll probably never use. *sigh*

Maybe I'll get her a reverse alarm system instead: the type that beep faster as you move closer to something (usually biased left or right based on which side is closer), and have a small distance display.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    [*]I will not replace the factory HU

Ghey .. I stopped reading. I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my wife's Civic. Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Ghey .. I stopped reading. I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my wife's Civic. Good luck.
    Have you seen the factory Insight head unit? It's not DIN at all and sort of flows asymmetrically around the dash.

Replacing it with a DIN unit would look really tacky, not to mention the HU itself is great, aside from no bluetooth.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I have been looking for something similar, an easy way to get the music/nav from my iPhone into my car radio. Im currently using this simple iPhone 5 car mount and a standard aux cable. It works fine, but getting it a bit more tidy and streamlined would be awesome. Does anyone use or consider this Oxygen Audio Ocar iPhone Radio or something similar? Im very interested in being able to simply "mount" my iPhone into a radio face without the additional car mount goose neck thing and ugly aux cable...

I Support ClubWRX
    What car do you have? If it's a Subaru, get a double-Din Pioneer unit. You can display the iphone's display on the larger screen, and depending on the model, control it. I'd stick with a reputable brand.

My biggest problem here is that I can't change the head unit out, but if it were my WRX, it'd be no problem.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

just a quick question are there any ways of getting an aftermarket head unit and still be able to use the factory bluetooth controls in my '13 STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb5783 View Post
    just a quick question are there any ways of getting an aftermarket head unit and still be able to use the factory bluetooth controls in my '13 STi
    There are many threads on this topic. Search is your friend.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.