Mounting a boost gauge

This is a discussion on Mounting a boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a boost gauge but no pod or mounting bracket. Any suggestions as to which pod to use or ...

Mounting a boost gauge

I have a boost gauge but no pod or mounting bracket. Any suggestions as to which pod to use or where to mount it best?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Size of the gauge and what year is your car?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

52mm - 05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    OK....you have a few options available, but first you need to decide if this will be your only gauge, or are you planning on getting more in the future?

Option 1...generally if this will be the only gauge, or only one for a long while...you could mount it with any generic gauge pod like Subaru would mount the gauge if you got it from them as an accessory, on the steering column between the wheel and the normal gauges (yes I know this is a 2006, but 2005 had the same placement):

Option 2...this is newly available to 2002-2007 models, the SMY cluster hood. This replaces your stock gauge cluster hood (the hood covering your speedo, gas gauge, etc.) with a new one that has 2 additional 52mm gauge pods :

Option 3....a clock pod. This is a 3 gauge pod, you remove the stock clock in the center of the dash and install this hood to hold your gauges. This option is made by multiple manufacurers, each looks slightly different and varies in quality and price, though it seems Autometer and ATI are the most common:

Option 4.....a pilar pod(s). This replaces the plasic between your windshield and driver's window with one that has 1/2/3 pods molded in. Again, this is made by multiple manufacurers, each looks slightly different and varies in quality and price, and Autometer seems to be the most popular.

Option 5...dual pod steering column replacement. This is not very popular on a daily driver as the gauge placement blocks your ability to read stock gauges. It is so unpopular that I had trouble finding a pic of one installed on a Rex, so this is a Lexus:
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 11-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

cool, thank you for allt he information you gave and photos you gathered.. having a visual really helps.. option 2 looks good and clean, but i only need the one gauge (for now)... im gonna go with option 1... last question, does it matter if its mounted on the left or right. i typically see them on the left, is that because it "blocks" your view of the stock gauges less?

I Support ClubWRX
    Left or right is personal preference kind of thing. However, on the right you might block your speedo some, left only blocks fuel and temp.

If you like the look of option 2, and might get another gauge later, I would get that....they sell blanks to fill in the unused hole, and the part has resale value if you choose to remove it. Just my $0.02 though
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8