Make the whip quiet

This is a discussion on Make the whip quiet within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone know the best way to make the cabin of my vehicle a little quieter. Seems so loud inside while ...

Make the whip quiet

Anyone know the best way to make the cabin of my vehicle a little quieter. Seems so loud inside while driving and you can here music loud as **** outside the vehicle. I have a 2005 WRX. Any ideas would be much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You have a stock exhaust?

Have you thought of dynamat? It won't be as quiet as the inside of a Rolls but maybe somewhat.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sound deadening, like dynamat.. that's your answer.

The best way to do it is some sort of quality sound dampening (Hushmat, Dynamat, SDS, Stinger Roadkill, etc.), closed cell foam as a decoupling layer, then cover over that with 1 pound per square foot mass loaded vinyl. The only downside is that method will add a lot of weight to the car and it is extremely expensive.

I first learned that Dynamat was nothing more than marketing with regards to quieting down road noise when one of my employees used Dynamat extreme in an attempt to quiet the Magnaflow exhaust in his 2002 Camaro SS. The results of 100% sheet metal coverage with Dynamat extreme were fairly insignificant.

EDIT: If you look at the science behind it, you'd see why his results were dismal for reducing road noise. Laying down mat creates a Constrained Damping Layer which converts vibrations in the sheet metal into heat versus blocking road and other noise from passing through. Sorry, but a layer of butyl topped with aluminum is not good at blocking transmitted noise.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 11-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Dynamat functions perfectly well for what it is designed for. Road noise and Exhaust noise are two different things. Road noise consists of wind, tire, and vibration from the engine/drive-train and road surface. Dynamat will dampen the vibrations that resonate the sheet metal from both the road surface and the engine/drive-train when applied in an effective fashion.

Since little of the exhaust noise is coming into the car through vibration of the sheet metal Dynamat can do little to suppress the noise coming out the end of the pipe or the noise of the wind or tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    closed cell foam as a decoupling layer, then cover over that with 1 pound per square foot mass loaded vinyl

That's the really effective way to do it..

Just about my entire interior is covered in a layer of sound deadning material.
    For the trunk i used the home depot peal and seal with the plastic backing.
    Did the entire trunk. Floor, spare tire, wheel arches, etc etc.
    On the inside (back seat and foward) i put down a layer of the peal and seal with the aluminum backing.

Made a gigantic difference.

Also 1 thing you can do is take off your exhaust and spray the exhaust cavern area with underbody coating.

Also spraying your wheel wells with a few layers will help alot.

Awesome guys thanks very much for the advice. My exhaust seems so loud and when im in my buddies infinity it just seems so quiet yet fast. Wanted to see if i can do something like that and im sure that this will help. thanks for all the advice gents

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    The best way to do it is some sort of quality sound dampening (Hushmat, Dynamat, SDS, Stinger Roadkill, etc.), closed cell foam as a decoupling layer, then cover over that with 1 pound per square foot mass loaded vinyl. The only downside is that method will add a lot of weight to the car and it is extremely expensive.

I first learned that Dynamat was nothing more than marketing with regards to quieting down road noise when one of my employees used Dynamat extreme in an attempt to quiet the Magnaflow exhaust in his 2002 Camaro SS. The results of 100% sheet metal coverage with Dynamat extreme were fairly insignificant.

EDIT: If you look at the science behind it, you'd see why his results were dismal for reducing road noise. Laying down mat creates a Constrained Damping Layer which converts vibrations in the sheet metal into heat versus blocking road and other noise from passing through. Sorry, but a layer of butyl topped with aluminum is not good at blocking transmitted noise.
    If I get a WRX this is a mod that I am seriously considering (though I'm a bit nervous about removing the entire car interior). With the "dynamat" in key locations, the decoupling foam, and the mass loaded vinyl (that is like .25") how does the stock carpet fit back in the car. This seems to add considerable thickness and if the carpet is molded to fit the stock interior how does all this fit?