02-07 SMYcluster Review

This is a discussion on 02-07 SMYcluster Review within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the SMYcluster has become legendary in the 3rd gen circles, but they recently extended the love out to the ...

I Support ClubWRX

02-07 SMYcluster Review

So the SMYcluster has become legendary in the 3rd gen circles, but they recently extended the love out to the GD-series cars. I was one of the original 100 pre-orders back in June, and it arrived early October.

It came packaged in a tidy box with some bubble wrap, business cards, and stickers.

First off, quality: this haz it. They really outdid themselves making the mounting points and fitment transparent to the OEM part. The color and texture are identical, as far as I can tell. Maybe I could find some flaw with a magnifying glass, but I guarantee you won't be able to tell from the driver's seat. There are lots of plastic ribs behind the fascia to prevent it from bending.

Once you pull out the OEM fascia, just transfer over the white plastic clips and the rubber piece covering the steering column. They snapped right into the SMY fascia like they belonged. Then clip the SMYcluster in place of the OEM one and reinstall the screws. It was painless.

Here's a view taken right at my eye level and angle looking down toward the gauges. From my view, unless I'm going 160mph, the gauge pods aren't going to be blocking anything important sight-wise. The cutouts inside the gauge cups give clear, hidden paths down behind the dash trim for routing wires and/or tubes.

All in all, it's a very solid unit, and probably the best bang for your gauge pod buck if you only need two 52mm gauges (60mm will not fit due to space contraints). Now I just need to figure out what to do with the clock pod area...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Love it! If I needed gauges I would get this piece for sure. I can only hope the production picks up. Waiting 5 months is pretty crazy lol
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Here's a view taken right at my eye level and angle looking down toward the gauges. From my view, unless I'm going 160mph, the gauge pods aren't going to be blocking anything important sight-wise.
    That sounds like a serious design flaw to me! Based on the picture, it looks like it'll actually start blocking your view at about 144 mph. What on earth are you going to do when you're going that fast and you can't read the speedo? Do the mph to kph conversion in your head on the fly? That sounds like a big distraction to have at those speeds!!!

Very nice piece. Much better looking than the A-pillar gauge pods or the pods that mount to the top of the cluster/dash!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading