Interior dash question for radar, 2010 wrx

This is a discussion on Interior dash question for radar, 2010 wrx within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I noticed on my dash in the center, there is a small black cap right where the dash meets the ...

Interior dash question for radar, 2010 wrx

I noticed on my dash in the center, there is a small black cap right where the dash meets the windshield.

does this come out? I wondered if it was there to allow one to run a power supply for a radar detector. If not what would be the ideal route to run the wire? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You want your radar detector mounted as high up on the windshield as possible to give it the best sensing range. Take the power from your mirror or interior lights up top.

I've found the ideal place to mount it is behind the mirror on the passenger side but slightly lower so you're able to see the display clearly. It'll put it out of the way there but close to power still.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Detector placement varies based on what you're looking to protect yourself against. For radar, as Scott mentioned, you want the detector mounted as high as possible, since you're looking to pick up any stray signal. For laser, since they are targeting your individual car (typically a front plate or headlights), you want the detector mounted as low as possible.

Since there isn't really a warning for laser, disregard that, and mount it high. I have my V1 mounted over the rearview mirror on the drivers side. Mine is hardwired to the DC adapter power (run under the steering column, up the A-Pillar, and across the headliner), which means that it's on when my key is in the ACC/ON position, or the vehicle is running.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC