Nexus 7 Mount

This is a discussion on Nexus 7 Mount within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, the Nexus 7 will fit just about perfectly in front of the front center vents. Has anybody attempted to ...

Nexus 7 Mount

So, the Nexus 7 will fit just about perfectly in front of the front center vents. Has anybody attempted to do something like this?

I have looked at:
    1. Potentially fabbing something to utilize this but it would/could be a lot of work. This is the ideal situation though, as I would be tapping into something to be able to charge the N7. I would also have to fab some kind of clip to hold the top to the dash, otherwise I would assume it would fly out of there and land in the back seat.
    2. Pro Clip vent mount. Could this be cut in the middle to allow it to straddle both vents and be centered?
    3. Pro Clip top center dash mount. Not my ideal solution, as it would probably sit too high. But can this be slid to the center of the radio so that the device is centered on the dash?

For both of the Pro Clip solutions, I would still have to wait for them to release the actual N7 holder part that would screw into those mounts, but I'm trying to figure this out ahead of time.

Thanx in advance for any suggestions/feedback!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pretty slick idea. I have a couple N7's and have considered replacing the stock HU with one. I have considered placing a single din HU in the glove box or up dash and hooking into the aux inout and using the the axxess aswc for volume and source. A guy on Nasioc is doing it with a rooted kindle fire running cm9.

my NEXUS 7 (formerly kindle fire) 'headunit' COMPLETE - NASIOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like you might be stuck with a DIY.....here is a thread from xda of someone doing it in a 2000 WRX (rhd)

Nexus 7 car install build thread - xda-developers

It is too bad the nexus is so small....if it were 10" it might fit in the ipad dock someone made:

Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Thanx for the responses, guys. My thing is that I like to use the tablet as a tablet still, too. Thus, it needs to be easily removed. And I want to retain the stock head unit functionality and stream the sound over the bluetooth connection to the head unit.

I'm probably going to be trying to fab something myself or just getting something simple to hold it in front of the vents.

What about Clingo stuff? Anybody have any experience with how well that would hold a tablet in a car? I don't wanna get onto the freeway and have my N7 fly to the back seat!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Thanx for the responses, guys. My thing is that I like to use the tablet as a tablet still, too. Thus, it needs to be easily removed. And I want to retain the stock head unit functionality and stream the sound over the bluetooth connection to the head unit.

I'm probably going to be trying to fab something myself or just getting something simple to hold it in front of the vents.

What about Clingo stuff? Anybody have any experience with how well that would hold a tablet in a car? I don't wanna get onto the freeway and have my N7 fly to the back seat!

Amazon.com: Car / Vehicle KTech Vent Mount for Kindle Fire / Fire HD: Cell Phones & Accessories

a mount like this may working this is what i was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Turbosny24 View Post
    That one doesn't look too bad...

That one doesn't look too bad...
    yeah other thing i was thinkg was just putting 3 metal brackets of course painted or wraped that come from either side of the head unit and the bottom and just slide it in that way.

yeah other thing i was thinkg was just putting 3 metal brackets of course painted or wraped that come from either side of the head unit and the bottom and just slide it in that way.
    Can you explain a little more about that? I'm not following...

Can you explain a little more about that? I'm not following...
    Theres enough room to squeeze think peices of alumminum through the bezel. Attach them to the factory head unit. Bend them at the end to make an L shape to hold. Do that on both sides one maybe two on the bottom just to hold it in place. This keeps the factory headunit in place but ur still able to slide the tablet into place

Theres enough room to squeeze think peices of alumminum through the bezel. Attach them to the factory head unit. Bend them at the end to make an L shape to hold. Do that on both sides one maybe two on the bottom just to hold it in place. This keeps the factory headunit in place but ur still able to slide the tablet into place
    I think I get it... Interesting...

In case you have not seen this thread:
    Nexus 7 tablet in-car install - NASIOC

just read through that whole thread...that's nuts. I wouldn't even know where to begin to hook my tablet up to my car. I think in the end I would just spend the extra $ on a headunit that already had those functions. Plus I perfer to be able to take my tablet where I go, not have it stuck in the car.