Gauge pods....read before you flame
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gauge pods....read before you flame within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have asked this in like 12 times in other threads and via the chat tool, in one form or ...

I Support ClubWRX

Gauge pods....read before you flame

I have asked this in like 12 times in other threads and via the chat tool, in one form or another, and never get any responses, so starting a new thread.

I want to add some gauges to my ride. I like the SMY cluster hood thing, but that is not an option at the current time. Why? Well, cause I'm a big dude, and my steering wheel is tilted all the way up and pushed all the way in. This means the high beams would be on permanently. This can not be fixed without either me loosing a bunch of weight (working on that) so that I can telescope it out a bit, or me buying the GTSpec D shaped wheel (which is slightly smaller, and thus give me room), but that is like $600.

The 08+ clock pods look like ass. So do the 'right side' pods.

Pods screwed or taped to the top of the gauge hood look like ass.

The vent pods are a nifty idea, but I like my vents for air flow.

I have a sunroof and the auto-dimming mirror, so those pods that tape to the windshield are out.

I use my glovebox, so pods there are out too.

As far as I see it, that leaves one option....A pillar.

So, now I need to find an A Pillar that looks and is built good....where the hell do the late gen guys get one of those? I have only found two sources, BNA and JCS, both of which look to be the same quality.....take the OE part, glue on random pod X, add a metric ton of bondo, and rattlecan spray. I have more than one problem with this.

I want a one piece molded quality part that is going to match in both color and texture to the other pillars in the car.

I mentioned in the chat that I had submitted an e-mail to SMY asking about them making one....they never got back to me, and the members in the chat said that we already have many a-pillar options.....really? WHO!?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Those are pretty much your only options...

For the BNAs, I don't believe its just "glue on"...I believe they are molded. I'll send you a PM.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post
    Those are the BNAs that I don't like.....they don't match texturally and I have reservations about that type of construction. I am sure they are quality pieces, but I am picky about the parts I get.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I have been going over the many different gauge options for my '11 WRX as well and its pretty dismal. I think you've covered every option I know of.

It seems the people with the BNA gauge pods are very happy with them , but I understand your reservations. I think a one piece would be very nice, but would probably be too expensive for most.

I want to run at least 3 gauges (maybe more) and haven't decided between having all 3 on the A pillar, the SMY with a 1 pod A pillar, or going for the clock pod and wrapping the dash to cover up its hideousness. Lately I've been leaning towards this last option though...

Do you sit with your seat all the way back? I have mine back, with the steering wheel out and up so I can have nice knee clearance (I'm tallish).

I Support ClubWRX
    I have my seat slid all the way back, and the seat back tilted back a few clicks....the wheel is all the way in and up.

I wouldn't expect a single piece pod from a mold to cost that much.....hell, SMY hoods only cost like $150, which is not much more than JCS or BNA.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    The windshield pods will still work with your sunroof and mirror. The pod must be slightly offset for the moonroof, but the cable pass-through for the mirror won't be a problem.

Windshield Dual Gauge Pod 2008+ WRX/STI - Gauge Mounting Solutions
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What about spending the money and going with the HUD from Defi?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    They quit making the HUD in spring of 2010. You might be able to find some old stock somewhere, though. Defi also makes digital displays that could be mounted around the dash and connect to the Link system, so basically just an LCD screen instead of analog gauges, but still using all the same sensors.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely not ideal for field of view, but have you considered this option? -
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The windshield pods will still work with your sunroof and mirror. The pod must be slightly offset for the moonroof, but the cable pass-through for the mirror won't be a problem.
    That's great in theory, but look at the interior....if you off-set it to one side for the center bump, you kill the use of the visor for that side:

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I would love a HUD, was not aware they were an aftermarket type deal you could install (note that if they were still available, but cost a few grand, it is not considered an option in my book)

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Definitely not ideal for field of view, but have you considered this option? -
    Nice, a gauge that is completely useless unless you are at a light and can shrink down to read it. I know you are trying to give an option, but that is about as useful as mounting your gauges on your sub enclosure in the trunk.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Side-note on the HUD (now that I am looking at those as a possibility)....it would need to look similar to what you get in a Z06....no box taped to the dash, and no screen. It would need to be recessed into the dash and use the windscreen for a display, so not likely to find one that foots the bill without breaking the bank....but still searching.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    This better?

* * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    lol...maybe if I were driving 70's muscle at the strip.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Nice, a gauge that is completely useless unless you are at a light and can shrink down to read it. I know you are trying to give an option, but that is about as useful as mounting your gauges on your sub enclosure in the trunk.
    go the Pimp My Ride route and mount them in your headlights, taillights or mud flaps!!
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.