Plan to Mod my 2013.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Plan to Mod my 2013. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys! So I know I am jumping the gun here. I just bought a new Kenwood DNX9990HD for my ...

Plan to Mod my 2013.

Hey Guys!

So I know I am jumping the gun here. I just bought a new Kenwood DNX9990HD for my 2013 STI. Of course the new car will be a double din, but I wonder, how often does the car audio unit change? I think the past couple of years they have stayed the same so the wire harness is the same. I'd just like to get the wire harness before hand if at possible.

Does anyone have a 2012 STI and know if the blue tooth radio speaker is in the unit itself or is the speaker somewhere in the car? I'd like to not have another cable or speaker randomly in the car if one is already installed.

The STI has a USB and aux port in the center console right? Is that easy to integrate with units with a back USB? I have seen a YouTube video of someone installing it in the STI 2012 (Same Audio unit), but he does not go into detail of how hard it was.

Last thing, has anyone installed any lower lights into the floor? I saw Subaru installs it but I chose not to get the upgrade. I figured that would be something I could do myself. I'd love suggestion on the products you used!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was of the belief that there was no STI for the year of 2013? Guess I'm wrong?

You are wrong. There is a 2013 STI. There may be a new car released in its own category come 2014, but that also is a belief.

I Support ClubWRX
    The radio actually did change from 2011 to 2012. And I think it might have been different in the 2010s from the last two..... the harness should be real close to the 2011/12 as Subaru does not change the harness often. For the BT it all depends....there are different radios with different options.

For example, I have a 2011 Premium WRX with factory sat/nav....this means I have no BT controls on the wheel (they are in the HU touch screen), and my mic is integrated into the control unit bump for the sunroof. The car came with A/V and aux 2.5mm plugs in the console. I had to get the $350 media hub to gain a USB port and use of the ipod controls.

If I had gotten the base model car, the BT mic would have been an addon that clips to the head liner near the windshield and A pillar.

If it had the base stereo HU, the BT controls would be added to the wheel as extra buttons, and there would be a USB port by default.

Since we still don't even know what it is going to look like, we can't really begin to guess the electronics setup it will have, not to mention that those will likely change as per the options your particular one gor from the factory.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Demon,

I went to Subaru and confirmed a bit of those questions. The center unit does have an USB that should work with the unit, which is good, hopefully I can wire that to my after market. For 10$, I will push my luck and buy the wire harness from the 2012.

They assume that the mic will again be in the unit, which means I will have to find a good place to mount it. Shouldn't be too hard, its all in the fun of getting a new car!

Anyone have a recommendation on a reverse camera and or license plate holder to hold the camera in the back?

Is it easy to run a wire from the front of the unit to the back of the unit (rear)? Has anyone done that in a STI.

I Support ClubWRX
    As for 'how to', there are about 50 threads on nastysock....search google for 'rear camera WRX site:nasioc.com'

It is not hard to do really. I am planning on adding one to mine eventually.

For which camera.....from what I have read, the Kenwood CMOS 200 (or the new CMOS 210) is about the best you can get for a good price...they are about $150

finished product looks good too....
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Gotcha. I went ahead and bought the CMOS 310. I watched a bunch of videos on it. Seems pretty cool and does what I want.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.