What short shifter do I need to get?

This is a discussion on What short shifter do I need to get? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking for a short shifter for my 03' WRX. I am seeing a few different options and though ...

What short shifter do I need to get?

I am looking for a short shifter for my 03' WRX. I am seeing a few different options and though I would get your opinion to help me make a decision. What's your take? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FMS

Hi Trenda22,

You have a couple options.

Cobb, Kartboy, Perrin all make good STS.

IMHO, I like the kartboy the best. I have used the Perrin and wasn't too impressed even though it came with the bushings. The Perrin slides over your OEM shifter and changes the pivot height giving it a shorter throw.

The Kartboy is shorter and replaces the entire shifter. You do have to order bushings separately but all in all its a well designed product.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    Bushings are more important than the lever. Kartboy and TiC sell replacements for all of them.

As for the lever, there's a reason that Kartboy and Cobb are the two most popular levers on the market.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Bushings are more important than the lever. Kartboy and TiC sell replacements for all of them.
    This. Bushings are where its at. Front, rear, pivot, and linkage. Will add some noise in cabin just a warning. Well worth it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Are you saying that by installing a STS there will be more cabin noise or by the new bushings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    This. Bushings are where its at. Front, rear, pivot, and linkage. Will add some noise in cabin just a warning. Well worth it though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenda22
    Are you saying that by installing a STS there will be more cabin noise or by the new bushings?
    Bushings. The lever shouldn't increase noise if installed properly.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Trenda - if you aren't familiar with the transmission in these cars...

(bearing in mind I have a 6spd, so there may be some slight differences)..

This is the entire shift mechanism removed from the car. The linkage will attach to an arm going into the transmission. The front and rear stay are attached to the car body. The lever actually pivots in the hole, and moves the linkage through a small fork.

and here it is installed in the car, with the front of the car to the left. You can see why the front/rear bushing would make a dramatic difference.

...Just trying to point out why the bushings will have such a profound effect. I'd highly recommend them. Some say the rear stay bushing will attribute to noise more than the others - I can't speak on that note. Hands down the best modifications done to my car.

If you like them, you should look into group N engine/tranny mounts, and turninconcepts transmission crossmember bushings.

Let me know if you want any more pictures - I have an album of the whole install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Awesome! Thanks. Yeah I think I am going to order the Kartboy with new bushings here soon. :0) Thanks for all your input.
    Seth-

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Trenda - if you aren't familiar with the transmission in these cars...

(bearing in mind I have a 6spd, so there may be some slight differences)..

This is the entire shift mechanism removed from the car. The linkage will attach to an arm going into the transmission. The front and rear stay are attached to the car body. The lever actually pivots in the hole, and moves the linkage through a small fork.

and here it is installed in the car, with the front of the car to the left. You can see why the front/rear bushing would make a dramatic difference.

...Just trying to point out why the bushings will have such a profound effect. I'd highly recommend them. Some say the rear stay bushing will attribute to noise more than the others - I can't speak on that note. Hands down the best modifications done to my car.

If you like them, you should look into group N engine/tranny mounts, and turninconcepts transmission crossmember bushings.

Let me know if you want any more pictures - I have an album of the whole install.