2011 WRX Sound Deadening & Kicker BassStation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Sound Deadening & Kicker BassStation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've been debating what area I wanted to improve next and for a while I was pretty set on ...

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

2011 WRX Sound Deadening & Kicker BassStation

So I've been debating what area I wanted to improve next and for a while I was pretty set on sways/endlinks.. decided instead to pickup a Kicker BassStation Powered Sub and some deadening material to give the WRX some nice sounds for when I'm back and forth from work. Ran me under $500 for the whole setup. I started the front doors today and just with those two done the difference is very nice!

Wanted something easily removed if needed and this fit all the needs. Hope it will fit the way I want it to against the back seats.. haven't measured yet but if it doesn't I plan on facing them in a different way. I'll have some pics up probably later or tomorrow.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool project, i'd be interested in some pics later! I have some questions if dont mind.

As far as sound deadening goes, are you going with dynamat? If so, they have tons of versions of dynamat which one did you go with? How much did the sheets cost?

What amp are you pairing with the sub? (or perhaps i missed that in your post, then nvm lol)

What car is it going in? Ive yet to see a single sub in the trunk of a subie, and i was curious of how much room would be taken up. I may be going with custom or pre made box later. Is it a 10 inch sub?

Thanks Stu!
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not Dynamatt.. it's an off brand the guy reccomended.. have to double check the name later but it was roughly $150 or so for the materials.

Sub and Amp are all in one.. makes everything very easy to remove if I decide to track it or just want to remove for cleaning, etc.

Two 12" subs.. here is the link to the subs: BassStation Powered Subs | KICKER Basically just need to run the wires when it comes in and I'm going to fab something up for the knob to adjust the bass somewhere near my turn signal cluster on the side. Going to try and get it center on the back hump of the trunk.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    I now have all four doors complete, here is a pic of one of the rears as I was working on it.

Going to try and wrap up tomorrow in preparation for the subs.. should get them this week. More pics later. Biggest pain for me was getting the rear sails off the door.. managed to break of the them but super glue and patients cured that. Sounds loads better with all four doors done compared to what it was. I also padded the baffle's in each door to stop the vibrating.

Could you explain the padding of the baffles? The front speakers in my 2002 wagon vibrate something in the door with certain frequencies. I am wondering if this might be it. Thanks in advance!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll look for a picture to help explain but on the door (for mine, not sure if all the others have it personally) panel once you pull it off look for a small white plastic box.. it is essentially a plastic spacer to keep things sturdy. I basically took some of the dampening material and cut small 1/2" x 4-5" strips and bent the baffle to each side to slip the material under.. basically eliminating the plastic-to-plastic contact..

I think I know what you're talking about, trying to remember from last time I had the door cards out haha. That makes sense though, every time I see someone doing this It always reminds me how annoying that rattle can be.

I Support ClubWRX
    $500 for dynamat or for everything including the sub?

Yeah,the sails are tough.Unfortunately I broke one too.But I found it easier to remove if you use a trim removal tool.

You should have switched out the speakers while you were at it.Had the doors cards off anyway.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about, trying to remember from last time I had the door cards out haha. That makes sense though, every time I see someone doing this It always reminds me how annoying that rattle can be.
    Yeah and for as little time as it takes it makes things very worth while.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    $500 for dynamat or for everything including the sub?

Yeah,the sails are tough.Unfortunately I broke one too.But I found it easier to remove if you use a trim removal tool.

You should have switched out the speakers while you were at it.Had the doors cards off anyway.
    Yeah just at around $500.. I just wanted a little extra bump back here.. the stock stuff sounds ok for what I plan on having this thing setup for.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just finished up the trunk lid.. just got the rear deck and trunk to do. Debating if I want to do under the seats or not.. may be overkill although I do use my car for work quite a bit.. would make the drives a little more sociable lol.. normally they're quiet and clung to the oh'ish handles..

How do you like the sound of that sub. I have a 12'' solo baric L7 in a kicker box with kicker 1500 watt amp and I love it but im not sure I want to put it in my subie since it takes up so much space. I know my box definitely wont fit so might have to build a custom box i guess. Might end up going with what you got, i like that set up alot
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are looking for sound deadening on the cheap, eDead is about as cost effective as you can get. I read a review on nastysock stating it was good quality....about $1 per sqft.

Currently I only have sound deadening in the area around the speakers on all 4 doors, but it helps a lot. In the next year when I get the rest of my audio stuff I will be adding more to the doors, as well as to the floors (at least wheel wells to kill road noise). The stuff I have is called Stinger Expert RoadKill.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    If you are looking for sound deadening on the cheap, eDead is about as cost effective as you can get. I read a review on nastysock stating it was good quality....about $1 per sqft.

Currently I only have sound deadening in the area around the speakers on all 4 doors, but it helps a lot. In the next year when I get the rest of my audio stuff I will be adding more to the doors, as well as to the floors (at least wheel wells to kill road noise). The stuff I have is called Stinger Expert RoadKill.
    +1 to eDead. I've used them and I would say they par to better than the Dynamat. 45mil model is only $1 per square feet and 85mil model that I believe is twice as thick as Dynamat for only $2 per square feet.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    This was convinient for me so I jumped on it. Hope to get the rear deck done tonight.. that looks fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast