2011 WRX Sound Deadening & Kicker BassStation - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Sound Deadening & Kicker BassStation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Rear deck, for me, was much more difficult compared to the doors.. but after an hour or two I got ...

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Rear deck, for me, was much more difficult compared to the doors.. but after an hour or two I got my rear deck complete. Just the trunk to go.. waiting for the speakers this week hopefully, then I'll run the wires and get some good quality bump in the ride.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    If you are looking for sound deadening on the cheap, eDead is about as cost effective as you can get. I read a review on nastysock stating it was good quality....about $1 per sqft.

Currently I only have sound deadening in the area around the speakers on all 4 doors, but it helps a lot. In the next year when I get the rest of my audio stuff I will be adding more to the doors, as well as to the floors (at least wheel wells to kill road noise). The stuff I have is called Stinger Expert RoadKill.
    Has eDead improved over the years? I used their black Mylar based deadening in my 1997 Civic Coupe and it didn't stick worth a flip nor did it deaden well compared to Dynamat and SecondSkin. The last time I skimped on deadening, I regretted it and refuse to make that mistake again.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    Has eDead improved over the years? I used their black Mylar based deadening in my 1997 Civic Coupe and it didn't stick worth a flip nor did it deaden well compared to Dynamat and SecondSkin. The last time I skimped on deadening, I regretted it and refuse to make that mistake again.
    When was it that you used it? From what I know they now use the same material as in Dynamat. I have used them on relatives cars (~7 years now) and its still doing a great job (I live in the Nevada desert 110+ Fahrenheit summers and <0 Fahrenheit winters). Installation should be done at moderate temperatures. Installation in cold temperatures may require the use of a heat gun.

I'm planning on using it again when I get around to quieting down my car.
    Last edited by KHP; 05-15-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    they no longer make Mylar based....they have v2 that rubber Butyl (40-45 mil and 80-85 mil), v3 that is a liquid latex paint on, v4 that is Teklite Closed Cell Neoprene ( 1/4" thick), and v5 that is a liquid Ceramic Microsphere Polymer paint on.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I just added deadening material to the floor and door panels of my WRX hatch. I went from 70db at a 65 mph cruise to 68 db. That's a pretty good difference (log scale). I used Frost King Duct Wrap insulation. About $18 for a 15' roll. Its not gonna help with sound dampening, but if used alongside that eDead, they could give really good results. On its own, it does help cut down on road noise without question.

The main reason I did it was to cut down on the tranny whine when engine breaking in 1st and 2nd gears. In traffic, it gets annoying...fast. Turns out there is NO insulation after the shifter. Not pretty..

Check out the install in my pics (link in signature).

EDIT: I plan to do the doors and hatch next. Will probably throw in some eDead on the doors cause it seems like a good deal.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove my fiancee to her graduation today and even she commented how much quieter the car was inside.. in a good way of course.. you can still hear that engine and my intake :]
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    I drove my fiancee to her graduation today and even she commented how much quieter the car was inside.. in a good way of course.. you can still hear that engine and my intake :]
    Time to get a new exhaust?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha little give take there.. I like what you did there.

I Support ClubWRX
    I get the subs tomorrow and got the remaining material I needed. Should have everything up and running tomorrow if things go well.

So what are the conclusions on sound dampening? Did you add any soundproofing barriers?
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I actually JUST got the box yesterday from the shop.. they were on back order for a bit so hopefully I'll have pics and answers tomorrow :]

With the sound deadening I did do, well worth the investment and couple hours of work.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll get some decent pics tomorrow but wanted to update...

I finished sound deadening my trunk and installed the sub/amp combo with the help of my buddy today in a few hours time. For the price and work put in I am very pleased with the outcome. My WRX sounds VERY good inside and can hardly be heard from outside. My road noise and rattles are almost completely non existent even with the wider tires. I still have a little bit more deadening to do but it now sounds like a $30K car.

As for the speaker selection.. I'm pleased. The install was relatively simple and I think once I delete the rear center seatbelt and situate the speakers where I want them it should give me just the right amount of trunk space I want. Factory door speakers and h/u sounds good.

My next project may involve the use of a touch screen and some type of Linux or Android OS on-board to do all my multimedia functions and perhaps more. I'm thinking I may look at various Auduino sensors and see what other type of cool things I can come up with..

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry been slacking on the pic department.. but I'll get to that.

Been a bit and my feelings towards this entire process is still one of my favorite mods so far.. car sounds amazing and clean bass throughout. The sound deadening process alone I think should be on the to-do-list for any owner out there. It is pretty easy to do and can be accomplished in a day if you do the entire car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ha.. funny thing today... the speakers stop working so I inspect the wiring and of course it came loose. I repaired the wires and oh dear Lord... this little system just woke up... this thing really puts out some noise... but with the deadening it does sound good.

Plan on removing the rear deck this weekend to remove the center seat belt and plastic housing located on the inside of the trunk where I want to put this thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.