Wiring Harness & in dash DVD (parking break ?)

This is a discussion on Wiring Harness & in dash DVD (parking break ?) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm getting a new head unit installed in my 2010 base WRX, I ordered a wiring harness from Amazon ...

Wiring Harness & in dash DVD (parking break ?)

So I'm getting a new head unit installed in my 2010 base WRX, I ordered a wiring harness from Amazon for my vehicle, when it showed up it said 2008+ Impreza/WRX/STi wiring harness, there was also a 2nd wiring harness in the box that had no label on it. When researching further it was a kit for 2007+ Nissan. My friend is doing the install (went to school for car/home audio) but before he gets around to it, I want to make sure I give him the correct parts. Do I need both wiring harnesses? I ask because the Nissan one looked like it was accidently tossed in the box, but I wanted to check to make sure.

Also, the head unit it a JVC KW AV50, I was reading that you have to do some wiring to the parking break, is there a way to bypass that (to allow playing DVD's with the parking brake down)? I'm not going to be staring at a DVD while driving down the road, it'd be more for my kid to be able to watch on road trips from the middle of the back seat. Thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I personally don't trust wiring harness's from amazon as a simple incorrect posting can mess everything up. Check out crutchfield and look up the harness to see if it looks the same, or just buy the right one off crutchfield. As for the bypass, just google it. Essentially you just get a standard relay, run a wire from ground, the parking break wire, power, etc. Google your head unit and "video bypass" and you should get some info.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    I personally don't trust wiring harness's from amazon as a simple incorrect posting can mess everything up. Check out crutchfield and look up the harness to see if it looks the same, or just buy the right one off crutchfield. As for the bypass, just google it. Essentially you just get a standard relay, run a wire from ground, the parking break wire, power, etc. Google your head unit and "video bypass" and you should get some info.
    Thanks, I tried searching but must have been looking for the wrong thing - Video Bypass came up with exactly what I needed. If anyone hits this post searching you just ground the parking break wire from the deck and it works. I'll post again once I get it installed if that's not the case

And for other readers benefit, some head units can just have that wire grounded. Some (pioneer) have to use a relay. Read up on your particular head unit before deciding. Also, this is illegal.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Also, this is illegal.
    In the US, yes. It might not be for some of our foreign members. (Canada?)

I know it isn't in all Asian countries I've been to. Korean taxi drivers love watching their soaps while swerving through traffic at high speed without their seatbelts on.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I assume if it isn't illegal then the versions of head units sold in those areas don't have the lockout, but I could be wrong
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics