Possible to replace HU and retain BT Audio/other functions?

This is a discussion on Possible to replace HU and retain BT Audio/other functions? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, Stock 2011 WRX here. Looking to replace the stock HU for a touch screen system that can store ...

Possible to replace HU and retain BT Audio/other functions?

Hi all,

Stock 2011 WRX here. Looking to replace the stock HU for a touch screen system that can store contacts, use the stock microphone for voice commands, and capable of continuing the bluetooth audio system. Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll probably have to replace the stock microphone. That being said, most aftermarket head units probably have much smoother bluetooth integration than the stock one has. You'll also want a steering wheel control module of sorts to keep that functionality as well most likely.
    I'd go with the aftermarket head unit :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Instead of getting an aftermarket HU,I added a sound processor & amp & retained the stock HU & controls.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Metra Axess

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    Metra Axess
    ??

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Google is your friend

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Instead of getting an aftermarket HU,I added a sound processor & amp & retained the stock HU & controls.
    Not a bad idea. I'd second this idea as well unless you are set on a different interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    Google is your friend
    Reading comprehension is your friend. Even with the Metra harness, the majority of aftermarket HU's will not store contacts, will not retain the factory mic, and will not have voice command.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    You'll probably have to replace the stock microphone. That being said, most aftermarket head units probably have much smoother bluetooth integration than the stock one has. You'll also want a steering wheel control module of sorts to keep that functionality as well most likely.
    Thanks for the help. I searched and couldnt find an answer.

I need to replace my stock microphone anyway. The stock setup doesnt filter road noise and some people on the other line really cant deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    This is really a new area for me, so I really dont know what to look for. Do you have a recommendation of which I should look at? Do you have an upgraded HU?

I Support ClubWRX
    OK Vroom, I was in your boat about 2 months ago so here's what I know (disclaimer: there are a bunch of good HU brands and options available. This represents one such brand that I personally chose because it did everything I wanted, so do your homework on other brands to make sure you're getting all of the functionality you want)

I have a Pioneer 4400BH and have been quite satisfied with it. Bluetooth works better than it did with the OEM HU. I have my mic clipped to the headline right above my rearview mirror and don't even notice it's there. iPod is in the glovebox. My phone links via BT seamlessly and I have visibility to my whole phone directory on the touch screen.

The only thing that this unit does not do is voice command (not sure if any do, didn't get that far in my research). That's the only button on the steering wheel that won't have OEM function but you can program the steering wheel control (SWC) adapter to do just about any other function like Mute for example.

SWC adapter of choice is Metra Axxess which, in most cases, is a plug and play option because it will set up the controls automatically. I have a PAC SWC adapter bc that's what the installer preferred.

I'd also recommend getting the 20 pin harness that SVXdc, a member over on NASIOC has to keep you from having to cut factory wires and makes install a little easier with a SWC adapter. Since the 4400BH is a DVD unit, I also have a relay to bypass the parking break which allows for DVD play during drive time (never used that) but more importantly, allows you to use the phonebook on the HU to make outgoing calls while in motion.

Once you're phone (iPhone or Android) is linked to the HU, all of the controls are on the touchscreen HU which is the fair trade to not having voice command. It does not "store" contacts, but rather pulls your directory right from your phone when you're connected via BT.

For iPod/iPhone USB integration, Pioneer has an adapter for that. Depending on what you normally would be using the USB for (iPod vs. jump drive), you will need to choose whether a front USB input or rear USB input is a better option. I strictly use iPod so I chose the rear input to keep from having a cord sticking out of the front of the HU. I believe the 4300 (model below 4400) has front USB input if you don't mind an iPod cord or usually play music from a jump drive.

A really informative thread about the Pioneer 4400BH and all of the things you need for SWC, iPod integration, and BT functionality is in this link and I'd recommend reading it regardless of which brand HU you end up choosing

As I mentioned, this is not the only HU out there and I'm sure there are several that will meet all of your requirements. The audio section on NASIOC has several threads with different options and directions that people went. Browse around in there and see what you can find. If you have questions, feel free to continue asking and we'll try to get them answered.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG