Need a replacement amp

This is a discussion on Need a replacement amp within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My amp just went and I know very little about amplifiers. Im wondering if someone could help me find a ...

Need a replacement amp

My amp just went and I know very little about amplifiers. Im wondering if someone could help me find a suitable replacement for my current amp. Its a JL audio A6450. I believe it has 1300 W total output, it also powered a single sub in a box without a cap. Here is a site that has the specs
    A6450 - JL Audio A-Series 6 Channel Mobile Amplifier - White Finish at Abt.
    So if someone could help me find a similar one that will fill the same needs, it would be cool. Thanks.
    06 TR, COBB AP2,,COBB DP, K&N sr, G200 CB
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)
    AM cobalt gauges: WB fuel, oil press (elec), boost (mech,30hg-20+)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    We are going to need to know what all this amp powered, and the specs of your sub.

If the amp only powered a single sub, then this amp was not what you really needed to begin with. You could replace it with one of fewer channels for much cheaper.

If the amp powered the one sub, and some of the door speakers, then that is a different matter.

The A6450 looks to have been replaced by the XD600/6....which is about $500. Depending on what your real needs are in the car, you may be able to get much better performance for less money.

General specs of the amp you had:
    A 660W RMS Series 6-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier
    RMS Power Rating at 14.4V:

4 ohms: 70 watts x 6 chan.
    2 ohms: 110 watts x 6 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 220 x 3 chan.

RMS Power Rating at 12.5V:

4 ohms: 45 watts x 6 chan.
    2 ohms: 75 watts x 6 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 x 3 chan.

Max Power Output: 1320 watts
    MOSFET power supply
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    We are going to need to know what all this amp powered, and the specs of your sub.

If the amp only powered a single sub, then this amp was not what you really needed to begin with. You could replace it with one of fewer channels for much cheaper.

If the amp powered the one sub, and some of the door speakers, then that is a different matter.

The A6450 looks to have been replaced by the XD600/6....which is about $500. Depending on what your real needs are in the car, you may be able to get much better performance for less money.

General specs of the amp you had:
    A 660W RMS Series 6-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier
    RMS Power Rating at 14.4V:

4 ohms: 70 watts x 6 chan.
    2 ohms: 110 watts x 6 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 220 x 3 chan.

RMS Power Rating at 12.5V:

4 ohms: 45 watts x 6 chan.
    2 ohms: 75 watts x 6 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 x 3 chan.

Max Power Output: 1320 watts
    MOSFET power supply

Awesome, thats what I was hoping for. Ill get back asap with some specs. For now, the amp powered four door speakers, two tweets and the sub, which is 8 inch. But like I said, ill get back with the details.
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Awesome, thats what I was hoping for. Ill get back asap with some specs. For now, the amp powered four door speakers, two tweets and the sub, which is 8 inch. But like I said, ill get back with the details.
    When you have a chance, list the speakers and sub you'll be powering off that amp.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok, I finnally found what speakers I have and took my sub out of the box to read it. I know, its sad. But here it goes.

Four JL audio 6.5 in 100W speakers, puls two tweets. Here is a link.
    http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-TR650...d_bxgy_e_img_c
    http://www.amazon.com/PAIR-NEW-AUDIO...d_bxgy_e_img_b

and my sub is an 8 inch and says 10W1v2.4 Not sure what all that means, beside being 10 wats.

So thanks again for checking this out for me. Let me know if you need any more info.

I Support ClubWRX
    you sure your sub is a 8"? cause the 10W1v2.4 is a 10" sub.

OK, so we are looking at roughly

4 x 50W RMS (4 ohm) speakers in the doors
    1 x 300W RMS sub.

You would be looking for a 5 or 6 channel amp in the 650W to 750W (RMS) range. The ones below all foot the bill.

JL Audio XD700/5
    Kicker 11DX600.5
    JBL GTO-5EZ
    Alpine MRX-V70
    Rockford Fosgate Prime R600-5
    Memphis Car Audio 16-MR5.750

I would get the Memphis one personally, but they are sometimes hard to get as they are brick-n-mortar stor items only, no online sales. If that were not an option, I would get either the Alpine or JBL
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    you sure your sub is a 8"? cause the 10W1v2.4 is a 10" sub.

OK, so we are looking at roughly

4 x 50W RMS (4 ohm) speakers in the doors
    1 x 300W RMS sub.

You would be looking for a 5 or 6 channel amp in the 650W to 750W (RMS) range. The ones below all foot the bill.

JL Audio XD700/5
    Kicker 11DX600.5
    JBL GTO-5EZ
    Alpine MRX-V70
    Rockford Fosgate Prime R600-5
    Memphis Car Audio 16-MR5.750

I would get the Memphis one personally, but they are sometimes hard to get as they are brick-n-mortar stor items only, no online sales. If that were not an option, I would get either the Alpine or JBL
    Lol, yeah 10" sub, thanks for the info.

I have tweeters in my front doors, they came with the speakers I bought for the front and they fit right in a factory tweeter spot. Do they run off a wire coupled to the front speakers, or will they require a separate channel from the amp? I ask this in reluctance to take to door apart to find out. Im wondering if they will make the difference between me needing the 5 channel or 6 channel amps.

I Support ClubWRX
    The tweeters most likely pull their power and signal from the line going to the mids in the door...that is the most common way they are done. It is possible that your car had new wires run so that the tweeters had their own channel....the easiest way to know what to get is to take a look at what you currently have, and how many wires it has.

If the tweeters do have their own channels, then your rear speakers would be run from the HU not the amp...you had a 6 channel amp, and 7 speakers (4x mids, 2x tweets, 1x sub)....and you haven't stated if any channels are bridged for the sub.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Nothing is bridged, and im pretty sure the tweeters run off a relay with the mids in the front doors.