Where did you put your boost gauge and phone dock?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Where did you put your boost gauge and phone dock? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I like a clean, simple, uncluttered interior. As such, I'm not a huge fan of the boost gauge sticking out ...

Where did you put your boost gauge and phone dock?

I like a clean, simple, uncluttered interior. As such, I'm not a huge fan of the boost gauge sticking out in the middle of the dashboard, nor am I looking forward to a gaudy wire running up to my windshield mount to charge my phone.

Where did everybody put their boost gauge? Pillar? Steering column? Dash pod thingy?

And for those that have a windshield phone mount, where did you run the cable? (Or where did you mount the actual dock?)

Pictures would be awesome, and thanx in advance!!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For example...

Hideous:
    Attachment 104168
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

not pictured is my radar detector, above the rear view..

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post

not pictured is my radar detector, above the rear view..
    Holy cockpit, Batman! That's a lot of stuff staring at you, but it at least looks clean and it's not all gaudy... I see the phone mount; any suggestions for a 2012 WRX?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I like the vent mount phone docks because they don't obstruct your view out the windshield and the placement is excelent. The one I use is a Bracketron Grip-It.. the build quality isn't great, but you can get them cheap online, so if it breaks it's not a big deal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Crappy cellphone pic,but its all there

[IMG][/IMG]
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    rage-- How much do the gauges in the SMY block the stock gauges? That's the only reason I'm leaning towards a custom set up or a-pillar. Thanks bud!

I Support ClubWRX
    Clock pod:

I've since hardwired the V1, so that cord isn't dangling like before...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ZackUSAF82 View Post
    rage-- How much do the gauges in the SMY block the stock gauges? That's the only reason I'm leaning towards a custom set up or a-pillar. Thanks bud!
    They don't block them at all for me.I can see all the needles & the cluster.But if you move the steering all the way to the upper most position,it will block some of the gauges in the smy cluster.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    my steering wheel is fully extended. My Smy cluster has the Oil pressure on the left and boost on the right.

I dont see most of my oil pressure though as long as its not flashing its fine. There is another options to have two of them above the rear view mirror. The gauge pod is black (guessing it was made for the STI's). Another company is developing a triple gauge pod. As for my phone I use the cup holder

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Another gauge mount option that I plan on getting next --MBR - STORE--
    I like that one a lot. That poor chap is running a downgraded version of the head unit I had in my last car though. Sad story on those Pioneer F series units.

Anywhoo, everybody's ideas here have been awesome. I love the pix the most. For now, I had to just kinda tuck my cord into the steering column a bit and run it up to the lower left of the windshield for my phone. I'll post a pic of that as soon as I can. It's not horrible, but it's not ideal. And I don't have a solution (or the parts yet, for that matter) for a boost gauge.

By the way, what on Earth does SMY mean? Is that just the company name? I see it everywhere and it's driving me nuts...

I Support ClubWRX
    SMY is the name of the company.He has his shop right here in Brooklyn,NY.Very helpful guy.The quality of his product is better than OEM.

BTW,isn't it against the law to stick stuff on your windshield in Cal.Just asking.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    isn't it against the law to stick stuff on your windshield in Cal.Just asking.
    Technically, it probably is. But here's where I can go on and on and rant about how every single thing you do out here is subject to the perception and/or mood of the officer at the time. Technically, I believe it's illegal to alter a single thing on a car without the OEM doing it because you are deviating from the "package" that the NHTSA et al has approved. But that doesn't leave any of us on this forum anywhere, now does it? One can get a ticket for any thing at any time. Seriously.

Personally, I have been pulled over more times that I should have been simply because my vehicle was profiled. When they pull up to the window, however, the driver doesn't fit their profile and I think it kinda throws them off their game a little bit. Even motorcycle cops, whose sole purpose is writing tickets and having quicker response, have let me go. The first time I ever got pulled over (now almost 15 years ago!) makes quite a story that I can share if you want.

My uncle chased OJ when they arrested him. My dad's got over 40 years experience as a mechanic. My cousin owns his own shop. And I'm detail oriented and I like to tread right on the fine lines. I'm a researching ***** and I understand the decisions that I make with as much information as I can get my hands on. My advice: be respectful and understand ahead of time that if you got pulled over, you probably deserve a ticket.
    Last edited by etnpnys; 04-20-2012 at 10:04 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    One can mount a GPS device in CA on the windscreen if it is within a certain theoretical square on the bottom left or right. I don't know the dimensions of the square, but I believe the one on the right is larger than the one on the left. I don't know the dimensions for two reasons:

1. I don't use a GPS in my Subaru, I use my mobile.
    2. The dimensions are given in inches, and I find this disgusting.

Anyway, that's the situation in CA.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.