SPT boost gauge install.

This is a discussion on SPT boost gauge install. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just got my boost gauge for my 11' wrx and i was looking for a install guide just to ...

SPT boost gauge install.

i just got my boost gauge for my 11' wrx and i was looking for a install guide just to be safe. i found install guides for other gauges (boost and what not) but i wasnt able to find one for the SPT gauge. I know there all pretty much the same, just was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Produced,directed & starring our very own sjcurtis

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Lol I just found this on youtube. Thanks man, this is just what I was looking for

Dear lord, I never knew a boost gauge installation could be that involved. They are a very nice tool to have, but I'm not sure I could not bring myself to rip out all of that stuff on a brand new car just for a boost gauge. Maybe if I decide to mod it down the road..

I Support ClubWRX
    The install really isn't that bad I installed my prosport gauges and smy cluster in a day the night before I prepped all the wiring. It was also easy since I read up on some tutorials that other members have posted.

Its actually not to bad. The only crappy part is feeding it through the fire wall because you can't see where it comes out. What I did was just use a piece of soldering wire as a guide and than fed the vacuum line over it. It takes probably about an hour start to finish to do. The wiring takes 5 minutes because with the spt everything plugs into all factory harnesses

Yea I really liked the idea of plug and play so there is no hacked up wiring, I was just amazed at how many parts need to come off haha. I put a boost gauge on my last car and I used a port through the firewall right behind the pedals and steering column. The wires were hidden in the compartment below the A pillar and fed to my gauge cluster pod. Looked really clean and was really easy to do.

But, I'm sure it is worth the extra effort for the finished product.

I just bought the SPT gauge as well for my '12 WRX. I have watched the video and doesn't seem overly complicate to install.

Did the dash come apart pretty easy, just pull on the gauge cluster cover etc and it should slide out? Where did you put the boost gauge? any advise from someone who just put it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyse View Post
    I just bought the SPT gauge as well for my '12 WRX. I have watched the video and doesn't seem overly complicate to install.

Did the dash come apart pretty easy, just pull on the gauge cluster cover etc and it should slide out? Where did you put the boost gauge? any advise from someone who just put it in?
    I installed mine last night; I've been dying to share advice about it. The video makes it look way easy, honestly, but I ran into some unexpected issues. The dash cowl pulls straight out towards you, but took a lot of pressure to squeeze and pull out. After it's out, make sure to remove the plastic clips that may be left in the dash (keep your hand behind them, because they will pop off INTO the dash, which is where several of mine are still located. After taking the screws out of the gauge bezel, there are two clips holding it in, so give it a firm tug. Same clip advice applies here. The clock was the most difficult part to remove, maybe it's because I was doing that by myself. You really have to push on those tabs to pop it out; I thought they would break.

I mounted my gauge in the suggested spot and it works fine there. Take your time and test out the location first before drilling the holes.

If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't remove the intercooler, but if you do, make sure you don't pull the entire hose away from the throttle body instead of just the IC away from the hose. If it comes off, you have to remove the hose separately to put it back on the engine properly and then get the clamp tightened, after getting just the right angle... Don't be afraid when you see a little oil in the intercooler. I had no idea that [a small amount] is supposed to be in there!

I thought that the firewall part would be the most difficult, but it was the simplest part of the whole thing. Just get a straight coat hanger, remove the passenger side grommet, and puncture the insulation with a long screwdriver. Push the hanger in and down and push it halfway through. From the passenger floor, reach up behind the center console (it's tight) and pull the hanger down and towards you. Wrap the hose to the hanger with some good strong tape, and firmly pull about half the hose into the car. Push the hose back through the opening behind the center console and pull it through from the drivers side. (Before you attach the hose to the BPV, don't forget to slip a grommet back on. You can use the new one in the kit, but I chose to make a hole in the original because it is easier to install.) The instructions that come with it are pretty vague, and the video kind of glosses over things, but it's pretty simple if things go well. I hope you or someone else can use this info before attempting the install. If I could do it again, it would take me a lot less time, haha/
    Last edited by shamrocker; 05-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Thx, bud. I actually just installed it today and it went pretty smooth. Few minor issue like you said, but nothing to bad. Until I start the car, the needle went straight down ????. Well it already read -22 vacuum out of the box, then went down an pointed between o's in BO-OST, freakin weird. anyways I got it from a subie dealer online and they said they would replace it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just an idea, but while you have the center dash out why not do the interior illum kit for the floor boards as well. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Dyse View Post
    Thx, bud. I actually just installed it today and it went pretty smooth. Few minor issue like you said, but nothing to bad. Until I start the car, the needle went straight down ????. Well it already read -22 vacuum out of the box, then went down an pointed between o's in BO-OST, freakin weird. anyways I got it from a subie dealer online and they said they would replace it.
    Yeah, the needle should point to 0 when off. Mine points to -2. Not bad enough to get it replaced, but it bothers the OCD in me.

Quote Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post

I thought that the firewall part would be the most difficult, but it was the simplest part of the whole thing. Just get a straight coat hanger, remove the passenger side grommet, and puncture the insulation with a long screwdriver. Push the hanger in and down and push it halfway through. From the passenger floor, reach up behind the center console (it's tight) and pull the hanger down and towards you. Wrap the hose to the hanger with some good strong tape, and firmly pull about half the hose into the car. Push the hose back through the opening behind the center console and pull it through from the drivers side. (Before you attach the hose to the BPV, don't forget to slip a grommet back on. You can use the new one in the kit, but I chose to make a hole in the original because it is easier to install.) The instructions that come with it are pretty vague, and the video kind of glosses over things, but it's pretty simple if things go well. I hope you or someone else can use this info before attempting the install. If I could do it again, it would take me a lot less time, haha/
    i did mine today. holy jesus i had a hell of a time feeding that hose through. on my 10th or 11th time, it magically came out underneath the driver side!!!! ROFL. i was laughing and pissed off at the same time.

that hose should be at 12"-18" longer to allow more play and proper routing. i'm using a SMY gauge pod and was probably within 6" of needing more hose.

Quote Originally Posted by carnevino View Post
    Just an idea, but while you have the center dash out why not do the interior illum kit for the floor boards as well. Just a thought
    wish i'd thought of this. i've been toying with the idea off / on for the last few months about the footwell illumination.

anyway....

Very nice. Gauge cluster pod FTW. But you need a wideband now :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    Very nice. Gauge cluster pod FTW. But you need a wideband now :P
    i went with a Defi oil pressure gauge. ordered it last week.

i am very happy with the SMY gauge pod, i did some minor adjustments and made sure the proper clips are still in place, ect. once the oil gauge comes in, i'll take a look at how close they match (appearance wise)...