Gauges?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've already decided to install a clock replacement triple gauge pod and put in a boost gauge but what other ...

Gauges?

I've already decided to install a clock replacement triple gauge pod and put in a boost gauge but what other two should I install? Whats the best gauges for the money and where can I get the cheapest gauges online? I know there's a lot of merchants on this site, so any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on if you'll be doing your own tuning in my opinion.

I'd add oil pressure as one of them. It's a nice flag to when anything is going wrong. The other one is your call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

At first I'm not going to do my own tuning, but hopefully I'll get there. Thanks for the advice, any help on not getting ripped off on my gauge purchases?

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, I would get EGT, boost, and wideband O2 if you intend on self-tuning. If not, you could probably swap the wideband for an oil pressure gauge.

As far as brands, Defi, AEM, and Autometer are on the pricier side, but higher quality and accuracy than cheap brands like Prosport.

I have had Defi Racer Series gauges in the past, and they've been great.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Personally, I would get EGT, boost, and wideband O2 if you intend on self-tuning. If not, you could probably swap the wideband for an oil pressure gauge.

As far as brands, Defi, AEM, and Autometer are on the pricier side, but higher quality and accuracy than cheap brands like Prosport.

I have had Defi Racer Series gauges in the past, and they've been great.
    EGT is kinda meh...there is no real need for it unless you're tuning on a dyno and your tuner uses that. I have WB02, oil pressure and water temp in my clock pod and boost, oil temp and fuel pressure in my a-pillar pod.

I'm on the fence about oil pressure...I had one in my first STI, but think about it...if you have an issue and you've lost oil pressure, chances are your engine is effed already

Don't knock Prosport...they are good quality gauges for a good price. They match the interiors of Subarus very nicely as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm on the fence about oil pressure...I had one in my first STI, but think about it...if you have an issue and you've lost oil pressure, chances are your engine is effed already
    I disagree. If you lost oil pressure your gauge will show that before your oil light comes on (if it's a leak). You'll be able to shut it down.

I have egt, wideband, boost, fuel pressure, and oil pressure. All from aem. Having both egt and wideband is probably overkill, but I am paranoid after having to rebuild my engine because of a failed walbro.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm going to go with boost, wide-band O2 and oil pressure for the first gauges I get. Ill hit the next hurdle when I get to it. next question is, what should the oil pressure read on a healthy 04 STi?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I disagree. If you lost oil pressure your gauge will show that before your oil light comes on (if it's a leak). You'll be able to shut it down.
    Maybe I had that backwards...I know I said it before...I think you're right. Its the stock oil light that's pointless when you're cars a brick and donezo. My bad.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't knock Prosport...they are good quality gauges for a good price.

I have Prosport gauges and I would not call them "good quality" and I certainly wouldn't recommend them. Since I bought them in December 2010 I have had to send the oil pressure gauge and sender in twice to have it replaced (initially it was reading ~20psi low across the board, the second one worked fine for three months before it started not going below 20psi, over 20psi it read fine but when my pressure dropped below that it would just read 20.. not a good thing), and now my EGT gauge has stopped working (works for five minutes, then just pegs out and stays there).

I have Prosport boost, oil pressure, and EGT in my A-pillar pod. I also have an AEM UEGO wideband O2 mounted in my cup holder, and an Aeromotive fuel pressure gauge mounted in the engine bay.

Interesting...that is why I said "for the price" though. I guess for the hassle, or lack there of obviously, it may be best to just get something better.

Did they replace for free at least?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    They've replaced them for "free", yes.. but for the cost of shipping a couple times I almost could have invested in better gauges in the first place and not had to deal with the hassle.

They did look good, until they changed them, now my oil pressure gauge doesn't match the other two.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    EGT is kinda meh...there is no real need for it unless you're tuning on a dyno and your tuner uses that. I have WB02, oil pressure and water temp in my clock pod and boost, oil temp and fuel pressure in my a-pillar pod.
    I'd take EGT over fuel pressure or water temp, especially if you haven't messed with the FPR.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.