04 STi Door Panel Removal Help

This is a discussion on 04 STi Door Panel Removal Help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, i've been searching google and youtube and haven't found anything helpful on this. generally i see similar questions that ...

Registered User ModernRevolution's Avatar

04 STi Door Panel Removal Help

Hi, i've been searching google and youtube and haven't found anything helpful on this.
    generally i see similar questions that get a response which contains and old thread on a how-to for an 05 but the picture link is broken and the details aren't explained so you need the pictures.

So is there a step by step with a diagram or pictures out there somewhere? all i wanna do is swap the speakers and tweeters out. If not, could someone walk me through this? Or at least tell me where all the screws and clips are? i'm afraid of breaking the flimsy plastic so i don't just wanna jump in and start pulling things.
    do i need a door panel tool or will a flat head or something suffice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're probably going to break the tabs regardless of a door panel tool so I'd pick up extras just in case. It should only be the one screw in the handle (to the rear of the window buttons not the screw on the door latch release assembly) and then the panel just pops off. As for the speakers, if you didn't buy shallow mount speakers or buy spacers than don't waste your time because your windows wont roll down all the way and you'll have to tear it all back out.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Roll the window down to pop the panels off. Get your fingers down in there and just pull towards you and work your way around. Should be real easy.

You will have to undo the screw in the handle as Drews says. Heed his caution on the spacers. Most good aftermarket speakers have larger magnets.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered User ModernRevolution's Avatar
    ok, cool. so that's the only screw then? how many clips should i buy from the dealership then? (my car is there now getting a new water pump and belt and crap) the speakers are mb quartz 6.5 and i've heard they will fit without spacers. i have some spacers on hand i can cut if i have to, but hopefully these pop right in. you stick your fingers in the window slit and pop the panels off?